Jeff just had to say...

Jeff:

I saw your posting yesterday on the Deva user group site inregards to the 3.06 question and followed you here. May I say that this is the best thing I have found in regards to information exchange and just having fun on the web. I spent so much time on the site yesterday I was almost late for crew call.

Like you I have been on set my whole life. My father was also a DOP. I used to go to set with him all the time as a kid. I never had a big enough ego to be in the camera department but I always saw this guy who sat in the corner and had lots of buttons to play with and I said that's what I want to do. So people have been paying me to record sound for over 25 years now. I used to do features and travel alot but when I got married that ended. Now I mainly do series and MOW work. I just got a Deva V. Man you must have had your hands full with post and producers eight years ago trying to convince them to go digital. I actually just finished a feature in late March and I did it on my trusty old 4stc 15ips Dolby SR (love those fat anolg tracks). But it was pretty simple, mostly to people in any given scene and very dialouge driven. Not like MI 3. It was shot on location in a cottage on a lake. I was worried about the Deva in the cold. Some days it was -25 to -30 on the lake. I will try to post some pictures of the guys on the crane in -25 at 3pm on the lake. We did some days with second team only. Olympia Dukakis and Julie Christie had trouble dealing with it. But time marches on and I will be starting a series towards the end of May on the Deva. Thus my need to cruise the user group site. I could stay here all day and ramble on but I have to work on the package and pick up the kids from school. I just wanted to say once again I love your site and your work. Thanks for being one of the pioneers for the rest of us.

Jeff:

I saw your posting yesterday on the Deva user group site inregards to the 3.06 question and followed you here. May I say that this is the best thing I have found in regards to information exchange and just having fun on the web. I spent so much time on the site yesterday I was almost late for crew call.

Thank you so much for the kind words of support and I find it very interesting that we have similar histories. I think you may be right about the big ego thing and camera but if you're like me it is certainly not beyond us to get a really big head and do a lot of ego-driven grandstanding (not too dissimilar to some of the antics of our favorite DP's).

I am pleased with this Discussion Group and how it is working out as it sort of positions itself somewhere between r.a.m.p.s. (which I still enjoy a great deal) and the more specific user forums that often get WAY to specifc and technical (but serve a valuable purpose). I like to think that this forum provides a little bit broader scope and tolerance and tends to be a bit more personal, in a good way, for people to express themselves.

Thanks again for the support (and I would like to know who you are "Sound Intuition" if you would be so kind... even if you wish to let me know "off list" as they say).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler