True Story

Tom Visser

Saw this movie last night for date night.  I really liked the meticulous and highly intentional camera work and cuts.  I found the wide and closeups, mostly in the prison meeting room scenes with Franco, had obvious wire / boom transitions that didn't closely match.  I think that it would have been beneficial to do a little bit more ADR on this film.  The courtroom scene, with the Schoeps mics used as props, was super distracting as I couldn't keep my eyes off the beautiful mics!  I firmly believe that they must have been used as practical props, that part sounded really good.

I have always been super careful when using a mic in the scene as a practical mic. The temptation is always to use a great mic such as the Schoeps but it is rarely if ever the proper microphone for the scene. Courtrooms generally don't have them, podiums in churches and political rallies don't have them, news reporters don't use them, etc. What I did do was adapt a metal mesh-style windscreen to put on one of my nickel finish Schoeps which makes it look like it could very well be the microphone that would be on that desk or podium. For the most part, I try to have a practical working microphone that is actually the right microphone. It's not as crucial these days when everyone can do multitrack recording as a matter of course --- the practical mic, whatever its quality, is just one of possibly several tracks (boom mic, lav, etc.) on the same person.

I just saw an episode of Daredevil (very interesting show, BTW) on Netflix, and fell over laughing when I saw some Schoeps mics used during a political speech scene. Quite a step up from a Shure SM58.

I just saw an episode of Daredevil (very interesting show, BTW) on Netflix, and fell over laughing when I saw some Schoeps mics used during a political speech scene. Quite a step up from a Shure SM58.

I love the MKh50's in Boston Legal. Those judges and witnesses always have that nice Classic warm sound.

Lectrosonics HH mics, mostly.

Absolutely stellar sound work throughout. My only beef (and it's a post issue) is that they should have put in more of a "PA sound" when Wilson Fisk/Kingpin did his speeches outdoors and at the fundraising party. Still one of the best-sounding shows on television, absolutely fantastic top to bottom. Terrific plot and characters, too -- I was very surprised what a good show Daredevil turned out to be.

Thanks José and Marc. I was happy to hear the amount of layering and work the Post side did in their design. I think they got to have some fun manipulating some of the tracks and emphasizing other sounds to simulate what the main character would hear. 

Unless they cut around it, Marc, your eagle eye will probably notice a schoeps in my current job, if you watch it. The director liked the table mic look and I didn't like wiring 9 actors because of the large window reflections. But I might look into getting a cheap courtroom deposition or conference table mic and see if hollowing out for future hidden plants makes sense. 

On Daredevil, I got the Locations department to allow us to pry open an existing conference table mic to try to fit a Cub mic inside. I think we placed it in the scene (flashback law firm scene), but I don't think it ever became the best option for us for any particular shot. 

Josh