Changeable Capsule Pencil Mics - Advice

mikevarela

Hey guys,

finding this forum very helpful. Starting to build a rig to go out and grab FX and AMB. I've got a RODT NT4 for stereo and will purchase a shotgun soon for spot mono fx and DX... but...

I'm looking into buying a pencil set with replaceable capsules for cardioid and omni. Idea being cardioid for xy and spaced and omni for larger spacing. I like the NT4 but the AMB is a little busy with the XY pattern. I'd love to space out the mics a few feet, omni would help too. Thinking I could get a workhorse in a mic with two capsules.

Thinking 

RODE or SE for these.

any experience with this and how durable are the capsules when switched out. also any sound advice towards this?

thanks

ha. very helpful guys.....

Pencil mics are SDC mics usually 5-6 inches in length. often found spot micing drums kits. Great with stereo bars.

http://www.seelectronics.com/se5-mic

http://www.rode.com/microphones/nt55

Thanks. Learn something new every day. [emoji1]. Seriously though as long as dirt and dust or moisture does not get in between there really should not be a problem.

The Audio-Technica 40 EL series,  AT4049 Omni;   AT4051 Cardioid and AT4053 Hypercardioid is regarded by most folks as a decent sounding low/mid priced mic. (around $600, additional capsules are around $250)

If considering the Oktava 012, read up on the caveats.. handling/wind noise, counterfeits, quality control, dealers, ect. The Bussman mic appears nice, but the sensitivity kind of low, so a quiet preamp would be wanted if recording low SPL sources, same with the Oktava.

BTW, how much you looking to spend.

Just so you know...

If you really like the sound of the NT4, and your main goal is the ability to control mic separation and configuration, a Rode NT5 cardioid uses the same capsule as the NT4 does.

It's not my first recommendation, but something to be aware of in your decision making.

BTW, there is an aftermarket capsule that can just screw onto the NT5 as a replacement. It is claimed to offer a noticeable improvement. I don't know if the diaphragm placement within the capsule makes it suitable for use with the XY configuration of the NT4.

If that replacement is of interest to anyone, let me know and I'll look up the link when I'm at my main computer.

Hmmm, looking at the BLUE series now. Very nice. Any history with these versus the RODE mics?

I had the Rode NT4 and NT5. IMMO the Blue are better microphones,

Blue: better sound, no extreme high freq roll off, similar noise level (The AKG have smaller diaphragm), pre polarized capsule (very insensible to humidity), easily changed capsules and strong clamp system, one membrane fig 8, stellar hypercardioid (CK93) (Schoeps for poorman), high pass filter and pad. Very strong and durable, but not the paint

NT4 NT5: Cheaper 

Just so you know...

If you really like the sound of the NT4, and your main goal is the ability to control mic separation and configuration, a Rode NT5 cardioid uses the same capsule as the NT4 does.

It's not my first recommendation, but something to be aware of in your decision making.

BTW, there is an aftermarket capsule that can just screw onto the NT5 as a replacement. It is claimed to offer a noticeable improvement. I don't know if the diaphragm placement within the capsule makes it suitable for use with the XY configuration of the NT4.

If that replacement is of interest to anyone, let me know and I'll look up the link when I'm at my main computer.

I heard back from Michael Jolly (oktavamod.com) (yes, he's the Oktava mod guy) that his replacement capsule for the Rode NT5 does not fit the NT4 X-Y mic, as the new capsule is a bit too wide to fit side-by-side in the fixed positions of an NT4.

Ive tried (at least what I thought) of the Oktava pencils and was not impressed. Lot's of handling noise and distortion from the slightest amount of wind.

I'm not interested in replacing my NT4 capsules, the mics fine as is. Actually I really want two OMNIs but if at all possible to grab changable capsules for those then all the better.

And yes, top gear is top. But always mentioning the best of the best isn't always the best. "Hey, what's a good car to buy?" A BMW 7 series.....

Not really much help when budget doesn't permit.

But, the responses here have been great. I've got to see where I might rent a couple of the AKG Blue series here in LA. I'd love to test them Being that I already have the NT4 I might stray from the NT55's for similarity in color.

Trying to spend about 1200 and under for two with capsules.

I'm a post guy and have those financial concerns too (software, plugins and speakers etc...)

Thanks guys :)