Red dragon sennheiser G3 wiring

olphi

Hello,

Here the ops guide

http://s3.amazonaws.com/red_3/downloads/manuals/DSMC_Operation_Guide/DSMC_Operation_Guide_v5.3_Rev-L.pdf

P 136

P 202

The cam dep should give you this cable.

http://www.red.com/store/products/xlr-microphone-cable-20

On the Epic brain you have only mic level inputs.

Pat

I've not yet had the displeasure..  opportunity of working with the Dragon.

That said, the G2/3 EK100 portable receiver's output is unbalanced and should be wired in such a manner.

With the Epics and Scarletts, I've sent audio to (from a G3), the receiver output plug's Ring terminal was floated. At the camera end input, the plug's Ring and Shield were tied together.  Both were at mic level.

I've not yet had the displeasure..  opportunity of working with the Dragon.

That said, the G2/3 EK100 portable receiver's output is unbalanced and should be wired in such a manner.

With the Epics and Scarletts, I've sent audio to (from a G3), the receiver output plug's Ring terminal was floated. At the camera end input, the plug's Ring and Shield were tied together.  Both were at mic level.

The Dragon is a sensor wich is present in some Epic and Scarlet bodies. It won't affect nor change your wiering needs as used on common Epic and Scarlet.

Pat

As already mentioned an off the shelf trs-trs mini cable works. In the red audio menu set the input to unbalanced.

It's worth noting that I've found the trs-trs cable that Sennheiser includes with the g3 does not work. This is because it's not a standard cable, it's wired with the tip of the g3(locking) end connected to both tip and ring of the camera end. This works great for DSLRs where you have two channels on one mini input but for some reason it doesn't work on the red.

Another tip.. If you can get the g3 receiver installed on the cameras and connected and all the other video gear powered up and then scan for a clear freq. The camera body, monitor, and video transmitter can all emit strong localized RF that isn't obvious when you scan standing somewhere else.