DIY Enthusiasts Beware !

atheisticmystic

Well, you do own the DVDs, but you don't own the content of the DVD. But you may break or trash or, if technically pissible, erase the DVD.

It appears that with John Deere this may be different. I don't really buy their argument, though. With computers (even Apples) we have always owned the hardware but we didn't own the software. We only licensed it for our use. It's the same with iPads, etc. yes you can jailbreak your ipad, you won't go to prison for it. Apple just won't support you when you do.

It should be the same with these big machines.

the big difference here, though, is that you don't go under the hood of your iPad to fix it or modify it to get it to perform better. With cars, farm equipment, or a myriad of other things, you do. To tell a farmer "you can't fix that on your own" is pretty ludicrous. I grew up in a farming community. Farmers fix their own stuff. Those guys are looking for older tractors and non-computer driven equipment right now. They don't like being told they don't own the tractor they just spend $100K on. 

This seems a little ridiculous, its bad enough adobe wants you to endlessly pay for there cloud based programs instead of actually owning the real CD sorry I will use the CD version till it self destructs. And now this they are out their minds I hope all the farmers don't buy there stuff and make em go under from lack of sales so they are forced to think about what they are doing, these big companies forget that without us the end user they wouldn't have a nickle. They would all be selling hot dogs to make a buck.

Pretty soon if we let em get away with all this we will not own a thing, Cant happen as it is don't get me started with the DRM crap I think its all crazy, it gets hacked as soon as they alter the encryption anyway. The only one it stops is the end user who tries to play said Blu-Ray on their older machine as many don't and cant play on some machines because of the encryption changes.

Big companies like Comcast trying to take over the world well its been a long fight but we won that one. They lost because the public got involved in mass petitions both on the net and at there offices in NYC, have to fight all these guys show em they cant just do what they want DOJ also made sure on that one.

Now farm equipment you don't own because of protected computer based software running the sys what are they smoking they can keep it. If you buy a tractor I am sorry but ya you got to actually own that, or tell em I don't want it. I had a friend who was an engine head, ya try and tell him o im sorry you cant mod that engine, these corp idiots and their law firms like to take the fun out of everything. I say don't buy that tractor then and when sales drop to low levels they will think twice about the stupid idea. Need to hit these big companies where it hurts in their wallets otherwise they could care less. Im a cable cutter ROKU and Netflix the way to go as I will not pay their crazy fees and if more did what I am doing which many now are then cable TV would be a lot cheaper or they would not be able to exist again we the consumer are who allowed them to become what they are. If they dont have any subscribers what happens? They lower the cost or close the doors show em who's boss don't buy there stuff simple as that.

They all need to remember this.

This seems a little ridiculous, its bad enough adobe wants you to endlessly pay for there cloud based programs instead of actually owning the real CD sorry I will use the CD version till it self destructs.

Actually, if you never want to upgrade, you can keep on using the last version of the Adobe software as long as you want. It doesn't suddenly stop working. The problem is that you won't get future updates, new features, and you won't be able to upgrade to new operating systems.

I'm not a total fan of the idea, but it makes sense for some people and does at least lower the price of entry. It used to be $2500 to buy the full compliment of Adobe Suite products; now, it's $50 a month... but it's $50/month forever if you want the upgrades. I'd guess that most people would want to upgrade at least every 4 years, so it's not that drastic a shift in total cost. And you can still buy last year's physical DVD products as well if you don't want the downloads... but even that's pretty much taken over the business.

I know about the whole DVD thing I am a collector so I want to own and I do own the physical discs I can't put a digital download in my collection on my shelves, if I cant look at it open the artwork and info then I don't want it, when we collected records we had all this awesome artwork, Pink Floyd, Yes, they all took a lot of time to create this, now the section with all the extra info in modern discs is empty, but the clips are still molded in to the boxes, in my opin they can keep there digital downloads I only want the physical Blu-Ray or DVD ... I still collect DVD's but I do try and get a lot of the really good ref stuff on Blu like King Kong that Blu looks amazing.

Call me old school but nothing my opin compares to the pic on an a calibrated Panasonic Plasma set putting some discs in my Oppo and watching a good movie with great sound and dialog quality on a full sys, none of this o il just watch it on my tablet as so many do today, for me I want the real deal, dont get me wrong I like Netflix thats great that replaced Cable on my Roku for me but I only watch that on my plasma I do not use there service for handheld devices sorry movies were meant to be seen on a full size screen not some little handheld device, but subscribing to services like adobe no thanks not gona happen plus i dont like that it must call home what happens if you need to work and your internet is out and it goes to do its check with no conection to a server then what. you should not need a connection to the net to design something.

I am completely against that model, subscriptions like Netflix at 8 bucks for movie streaming only as a replacement for overpriced cable is one thing but subscription to run my software, not on my watch.

But common Tractors I hope the farmers get to together and revolt against it. People today must make sure the big companies don't get away with this nonsense period, the reason adobe can even do what they are doing is because many have allowed it, If you did not buy into it they would have no choice but to sell discs or close the doors that's how it works if they make no money sold no subscriptions or very few, that's it they are done. but many have bought into it so they stay in business again they would all be out of business if we never again bought there stuff. As you know their is power in numbers. Never let the big guy step on the little guy or its all down hill from there, they soon forget it is the little guy who made them the big guy.

The public spoke up against the Comcast deal and well we see how that worked out, the DOJ listened the politicians listened, I got several letters back from politicians when I was involved with the fight against it, so it can work but we must fight for our rights or we will slowly loos them to huge companies who only care about their bottom line, not you or me.

This is why I won't buy anymore Apple computers without DVD/CD drives. They're forcing everyone to download/buy software instead of owning a physical copy of it.  

Can't blame you there, I still have Macs with drives, as I do like the build quality and engineering put into Apple products for the most part, but do not like the fact there is no physical drive. Also hat the fact everyone want you dl the product info what happen to a large booklet that had all the info on what you just bought and how to use it, remember those days. No if you wnt that you must dl it waste your own paper and print it out.