Amp and omnidirectionnal antenna for boosting ERX not working

cinetj

I have ordered from Zaxcom directly an omnidirectionnal antenna, one amp model HA2401G-1000 with a DC injector. All seems to work but it simply doesn't, I'm getting even less reach than with the whip. I've read all about it in the other thread about this set up and couldnt figure out what's the problem. Could it be the omnidirectonnal antenna? I was expecting a worse performance than with a directional, but nothing at all is quite strange. Dont have a qrx 100, using Nomad as the transmitter.

Check if the injector is faulty.

I am sure they don't check those.

Mine came not working but I just got a better one from L-Com

I have ordered from Zaxcom directly an omnidirectionnal antenna, one amp model HA2401G-1000 with a DC injector. All seems to work but it simply doesn't, I'm getting even less reach than with the whip. I've read all about it in the other thread about this set up and couldnt figure out what's the problem. Could it be the omnidirectonnal antenna? I was expecting a worse performance than with a directional, but nothing at all is quite strange. Dont have a qrx 100, using Nomad as the transmitter.

I'm pretty sure the DC injector is an L-Com product. When I ordered my amp and antenna (same model as cinetj) I ordered directly from L-Com and the first DC injector was DOA. I got a replacement and it worked just fine. I don't think Zaxcom makes a DC injector, I could be wrong, so it would not be an item that Zaxcom would necessarily check.

I hope someone closer to the problem is helping cinetj since I think we have all offered as many suggestions as we can. I'm not sure whether he has followed up on my suggestion to check the output level of the IFB that is driving the amp. The amp only works at a certain minimum signal level. For me with originally an 8 foot cable, everything worked fine with output level at 5 on my IFB-100. I went with a longer cable, 12 feet, and the amp did not function. Turned the output level up to 6 and everything was fine. 

Jeff,

It is made by LCom.

When I got my DOA injector I was told that I should not feed it 7 power from the nomad IFB.

The new injector that I purchased works fine with 7.

If you purchased the system from Zaxcom LCom will not honor the warranty.

But before we jump to conclusions what lights are you getting on the injector and the amp?

No one is jumping to conclusions, just trying to help this person sort out their problem. Also, your first post seemed to imply that the DC injector was a Zaxcom product that "I am sure they don't check those." Then you say "Mine came not working but I just got a better one from L-Com" again somehow the implication is that Zaxcom was at fault and you had to get one "from L-Com". None of this helps the original poster solve their problem. Once we know he is in possession of a functioning amp, DC injector and antenna (all L-Com products) we can continue to sort out the problem.

Regarding the output power, it was the suggestion from L-Com to increase the signal level going to the amp since it requires a minimum signal level to even turn on. The maximum level, according to the spec from L-Com, is way above even the highest setting on the IFB. I increased the level by 1 going from 5 to 6 and that worked.

I will have to check the status of the LED indicators because this is another area of confusion. Discussing with L-Com, there seems to be two different ways the LEDs work depending on the date of manufacture of the amp. Earlier ones the LEDs worked one way, later ones (same model number) work differently. I will look at mine and report what the LEDs do on my unit.

First, thank you all for the replies. Sorry, I took so long to answer.

Rado, on the amp I'm getting a green light at RX and a red light at TX. I know a red light is usually bad sign, but on the other thread someone said that is how it was supposed to be with this product.

Rado, on the amp I'm getting a green light at RX and a red light at TX. I know a red light is usually bad sign, but on the other thread someone said that is how it was supposed to be with this product.

What about the light on the injector?

My amp shows GREEN on the RX when powered up and then RED on the TX when the IFB is powered up --- all systems are good. This is correct, at least for most of the amps in this model (however, there is one version, same model number, where the LEDs do not work this way).

No one is jumping to conclusions, just trying to help this person sort out their problem. Also, your first post seemed to imply that the DC injector was a Zaxcom product that "I am sure they don't check those." Then you say "Mine came not working but I just got a better one from L-Com" again somehow the implication is that Zaxcom was at fault and you had to get one "from L-Com". None of this helps the original poster solve their problem. Once we know he is in possession of a functioning amp, DC injector and antenna (all L-Com products) we can continue to sort out the problem.

Regarding the output power, it was the suggestion from L-Com to increase the signal level going to the amp since it requires a minimum signal level to even turn on. The maximum level, according to the spec from L-Com, is way above even the highest setting on the IFB. I increased the level by 1 going from 5 to 6 and that worked.

I will have to check the status of the LED indicators because this is another area of confusion. Discussing with L-Com, there seems to be two different ways the LEDs work depending on the date of manufacture of the amp. Earlier ones the LEDs worked one way, later ones (same model number) work differently. I will look at mine and report what the LEDs do on my unit.

Hi, Jeff

Thank you for trying to help. Regarding the output power, I've gone from 5 till 7 on Nomad. Regarding cable length, i don't have any cables longer than 8 feet.

^ all good questions! Check the sex of your connections and make sure males and females are all where they should be. Also some amps i have found dont work properly if not fed enough signal from the transmitter.

-Ken

Hi, Ken

Jonh Blankership had mentioned this on the other thread. I don't still know if I get it. If I use a female connector to plug it on the antenna, it wouldn't fit simply. I reversed the cable polarity then, but then I got no signal on the amp (so I guess, mine are not RP). If you look for this at wikipedia, it sounds like an institutionalized prank: "Because they were not readily available, RP-TNC connectors have been widely used by Wi-Fi equipment manufacturers to comply with specific local regulations, such as those from the FCC,[3] which are designed to prevent consumers from connecting antennas which exhibit gain and therefore breach compliance. The FCC considered that the RP-TNC was acceptable in preventing consumers changing the antenna; but by 2000 it regarded them as readily available,[4] though delaying its ruling indefinitely.[5] As of 2013, leading manufacturers are still using RP-TNC connectors on their Wi-Fi equipment.[6]"

^ that's it! i tried cables that came with an amp at first and that's when i figured out i was making no connection so i had to custom order low-loss cable with the proper connectors. there are basically 4 types of sma's - 1x male with pin, 1x male with hole, 1x female with pin and 1x female with hole.

-Ken