Improved SM single and dual battery thumbscrew kit

LarryF

Some time ago, we improved battery life on older SM transmitters by adding a small speck of silver paste to the battery door thumbscrew. If this silver grease didn't solve your battery contact problem, it is then probably a tolerance build up problem where the thumbscrew is tightening the eclip to the case rather than the door. We have come up with an improved washer and thumbscrew for those units. The washer is a Monel (63% nickel 31% copper plus iron and manganese) screen that makes smoother contact than the old stainless steel compression washer. In addition the new thumbscrew has additional relief so there is never a chance of binding the eclip to the case rather than correctly pulling the door to the case.

The free (!) kit is sent out with instructions to replace the washer and thumbscrew. The new thumbscrew is a eBeni finish and is darker than the original Pentuf finish. The new washer is the Monel screen described above. The kit also includes a new eclip so when you lose it in the carpeting you have an extra. Finally, there is a small amount of silver paste included.

This resolves a tolerance buildup problem where the eclip was binding on the case causing battery life problems even though silver paste had been correctly applied. Replacing the older setup with the new kit is a good preventative measure. You may never have the tolerance build up problem but I recommend replacement.

You can tell if you need the kit by looking at the washer under the thumbscrew. If it is a silvery screen, you have a newer setup already. If the washer is a compression washer you should replace it, particularly if you are having variable (weird) battery life.

Here is a link to the replacement instructions so you can see what I'm describing:

You can get the kit by emailing service.repair@lectrosonics.com. Service will need to know if you have a single battery SM (SM, SMa, SMv) or a two battery SM (SMd, SMda, SMq, SMqv) as the thumbscrews are subtly different. We will need a mailing address also, of course. The kit names are SM1DOORKIT for all single battery units  and SM2DOORKIT for all dual battery units.

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

p.s. All current builds use the new setup

SM Battery Door Washer Replacement.pdf

I have noticed on a rare occasion the battery life wouldn't last as long. I attributed it to a bad battery. But maybe not. I just checked my transmitters and checked one that I had just sent in to get the LCD screen replaced. It looks like they did replace the washer you are speaking of. I took a pic of the transmitter that was just returned to me yesterday against the old washer so folks know what to look for even though you have posted a how to PDF.

Thanks for posting this!

Kriky

The transmitter on the left is the new washer and thumbscrew.

post-489-0-45279400-1430410535_thumb.jpg

Hi Kirky,

Good picture showing the washer difference. Service would also have replaced the thumbscrew with the newer version too. You can see the difference in color if you look hard, between the new eBeni finish and the older Pentuf on the thumbscrew.

Best Regards,

Larry F

Lectro

Thank you Larry for the constant product refinement and the attention to customer care. I have infact had to have two of my SMv's doors replaced. I have also found the paste will harden up in the vile if not used right away. On one of my units I sometimes power it up and it shuts of right after I release my two fingers. Will this help that?

Thanks

Bill

The paste will work soft or hard if you can get it on the threads. The silver particles are what does the work. I'm not sure why it is getting hard.

The new setup "should" fix the startup problem.

Best

Larry F

P. S. I'll be out of the office for a week so replies may be sporadic.

• 3 months later...

Hi Larry, the link is broken to the PDF instructions in your original post. Any advice for removing the old E-clip without scratching the door?  

..and I figured it out. Tweezers, pull on the little notch. Good thing I went to school for this. It did scratch the door a bit though.