Zaxcom Mix-8

Brent Lestage

Hi All,

I posted the following to the Deva User's Group as well...

Just took delivery today of the new Mix-8 (s/n 1), and wish to report my findings to the group. First off, kudos to Glenn & Company for providing a lower-cost fader panel alternative to the Mix-12. While naturally less feature-oriented than its big brother, the new Mix-8 truly allows the Deva/Fusion owner to expand their mixer/recorder's functionality into a standalone production console.

The design of the Mix-8 is in keeping with the Fusion, Deva 5.8 & 16 lines, and the fit and finish is top-notch. That said, however, there were some last-minute design changes I wasn't expecting, along with a price increase.

The first surprise came in the form of a supplied AC power supply, cable and wall wart. Seems that the Mix-8 will not be power-able from the serial port, as originally planned. Unfortunately, according to Glenn, the port cannot produce the voltage necessary to power the device. The back panel now sports a threaded TRS jack and a TRS to 4-pin XLR or equivalent connector cable will do the trick to power off of 12V DC.

The elegant (but small) knurled aluminum fader trim knobs that were shown in early representations of the product were replaced with black rubberized trim knobs, as are found on the Mix-12. While I like the feel of the rubber knobs, I also appreciate the design aesthetic of the knurled aluminum, so Glenn has offered me the option of replacing them with the latter.

There are no other additions to the original design such as talkback or a slate mic, but that was to be expected. Lastly, the price jumped a couple of hundred dollars higher than the original MSRP of $1795.00 All in all, the simple design brings greater ease and functionality to my Fusion when used on the cart.

Cheers,

Brent

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Crew,

Sorry so long in replying... I haven't been on this site in awhile. Speaking very candidly, I liked the Mix-8 as a simple sliding fader interface and small console alternative, but found it way overpriced for what it is/does. I've since returned the unit due to early software glitches (now officially resolved with v5.44O). Had the Mix-8 been priced at $700 or less I would have surely kept it, but at $1995 I'll save my pennies for a Mix-12 or a dedicated console mixer.

--

Brent