Help With 788T Folder Issue...

Karl Wasserman

Has anybody else had a 788T-SSD save the first few files of the day into a previous day's folder and then the rest into the current daily one? Not the end of the world, if you aren't in a big hurry at the end of the day, but makes for a messy sound report, unless I transfer files into the correct folder on a laptop, then copy CF card to HDD folder to match. Also, I'd just kinda like to know what happened... Thanks in advance.

I am certainly not an expert on the SD 788T (actually, I know almost nothing about it) but I did read a post by someone else who had a similar problem. It is my understanding that if you make a new daily folder (where you want today's files to go) and you do not re-boot the machine, the files you record on that day may go into a previous daily folder. The other person "lost" the first 9 files but after the first 9 the files all went to the proper daily folder. He said that he made the new daily folder and then just started recording. After 9 files he shut the recorder down and then re-booted, the files after first 9 went to the proper folder.

I am certainly not an expert on the SD 788T (actually, I know almost nothing about it) but I did read a post by someone else who had a similar problem. It is my understanding that if you make a new daily folder (where you want today's files to go) and you do not re-boot the machine, the files you record on that day may go into a previous daily folder. The other person "lost" the first 9 files but after the first 9 the files all went to the proper daily folder. He said that he made the new daily folder and then just started recording. After 9 files he shut the recorder down and then re-booted, the files after first 9 went to the proper folder.

I power up the machine, rename the folder, and off I go... never an issue...  no re-boot after naming a new folder...  Hummm...

This is not how it works at all.

I would say john gooch is on the right track.

I agree that you should check the time and date in your machine AND the internal battery that holds time and date. Plug the machine into mains power with the power supply from time to time to charge the internal battery. Or it could simply need replacing. How old is the 788?

The 788 can be set to create a new folder when the date changes. However, it will ask you if you'd like to create the new folder before you proceed.

Renaming a new folder does not require a reboot. That info is incorrect.

You should also check to see if the 788 is set to create a new folder when the scene name is changed. There are a few options which I cannot recall right now but creating a new folder when scene name is change is one if them.

It's more than likely a menu setting that's creating your issue or the time and date is wrong.

Let us know what you find

Yes, I have had that once in a blue moon. My suspicion is that the 788 got stuck in a mode where it "forgot" what the designated directory was for that day's shooting. My workaround is always to record a test file in the new shoot day's directory and play it back before any take is recorded. I also will generally power cycle the machine and check the directory structure to make sure all of today's files are in the right directory. I think it was just a fluke -- it happened to me maybe twice in the three years I used a 788.

I've had this problem with more than one 788 and with different firmware versions. It happens a lot. But the conflict is in the PROJECT folder, not scene or daily. 12 hr am/pm settings can add some confusion as well.

Just have the clock set to 24hr format and always reboot right after finish setting the machine at the start of a new project and you should be fine.

"Renaming a new folder does not require a reboot. That info is incorrect."

I prefaced what I said by pointing out that someone had this same problem and was reported on the Sound Devices Facebook page. Suggestion came from another Sound Devices user that re-boot was sometimes needed. Several others said that they always re-boot after making a new daily folder. I was just reporting what I read. I should probably have just stayed out of the discussion since I don't know what I'm talking about.

Thank you to the others who have set the record straight regarding this Folder issue.

Well..if you have this problem A LOT, then either you, your set up or your machine may have issues..LOL

For years I have used a few different 788s without ever having this.."issue"... Nor have I ever heard of it...

I believe the need to reboot after naming the folder is hogwash....

That being said I always use 24hr run TC..

"A Lot". Really.....come on...

EDIT: After reading Roberts post as well, maybe the issue is with the folder naming.. Top,middle,bottom.... Very strange that after years and years with these machines, it's never happened to me... If you power up the machine in the morning, it's booted, then changing the top only folder name, maybe does not cause the problem... My middle folder name is always BWF..... Never changes in my workflow... Maybe that middle folder name change without reboot causes the issue...

SD....please chime in..

I've had this problem with more than one 788 and with different firmware versions. It happens a lot. But the conflict is in the PROJECT folder, not scene or daily. 12 hr am/pm settings can add some confusion as well.

Just have the clock set to 24hr format and always reboot right after finish setting the machine at the start of a new project and you should be fine.

I found the topic on Facebook --- posting it here just so you know that I wasn't making these things up:

• Jp Fonseca Was it the first day of this project? Meaning that you created a new project folder today and started to record right after ? Did you rebooted after those first 9 takes? Sometimes the 788 stays in the previous project folder and only changes until it's rebooted. To avoid risks I always reboot after changing the project.
  • 1003407_10152354447816631_92106378123063
    Mark Harris Good call. I'll do that in the future. I had created the new folder and just started rolling straight away. I switched off at the first break, which must have been when it changed the folder. This has never happened before though, which added to the mystery.
  • 11203195_10153796410833916_3931267122705
    Mark E Henry This is super common with 788! Beware
  • 10849978_10153073934215140_8328999615021
    Yuri Luedemann super common, to lose files?!?!?
  • 11203195_10153796410833916_3931267122705
    Mark E Henry The files weren't lost...
    788, as mentioned earlier will drop the files for a new sessions folder into an old folder if the machine isn't rebooted

I have had it happen a few times over the 6 or so years I've been using my 788T, but I can't remember the last time it happened.

I never lost files. I would change the middle folder to the new "roll", but a new folder wouldn't be created. The files would just go into the folder that was already there (the previous "roll"). I never had to reboot. When I noticed the folder wasn't right, I just went in and re-did the folder procedure, and the new folder would pop up.

It's far more frequent that I just forget to change the roll number in the morning.

I've had this happen on both of my main 788s and definitely with different firmware as I have standard procedure for formatting my CF cards because of this occurrence:

I rename the mid level folder (usually incrementing the roll number by one)

Then I format the CF cards

Then I go back into the folder options menu and hit edit the mid level folder. I don't change it, but I confirm the roll that I had just set on the previous step. 

When I slate my roll, I create a file that is named the same on every sound roll. If the machine adds an "A" to the name of the file, then I know that the 788 has saved it to the previous roll folder. When I go back into the folder options menu, the folder will be named for the correct roll, but I will have to re-confirm it and record another slate file to check. 

This doesn't happen too often, but enough that I keep that procedure to see when it does.

Josh

Interesting reports from everyone.

It's never happened to me with both my 788 and others I've used.

The only other thing I can think of is when you rename the folder, make sure you press the encoder knob on the right that final time for it to make the highlighted folder flash about 3 or 4 times.

This is true for track names and anything else infact.

It's possibl to change the name but it doesn't actually make the change if you don't press the encoder knob that final time to make it stick.

If the encoder knob is not pressed that final time, the folder (or track name) will go back to what it was.

Hard to explain but I hope that makes sense.

Clearly talking about it makes it happen.

Again, today!

But here's an interesting thing. I went to edit "tape (roll)" in the edit menu, and it reads the correct roll number, even though the new folder wasn't created and it went into the existing folder.

But here's an interesting thing. I went to edit "tape (roll)" in the edit menu, and it reads the correct roll number, even though the new folder wasn't created and it went into the existing folder.

That's the way it is whenever it happens to me. For me, the surefire test is rolling the head slate on every roll and seeing if the machine adds the "A" to the file name to prevent having two files with the same name in the same folder. But looking at the folder name in the folder options menu doesn't actually confirm whether the roll change took place.

I've never experienced this in the 6 years I've had my 788t. (But I'm glad to know about it.) I've always used the 24 hour clock setting. At the beginning of the day, when I power up the machine, it asks if I want to create a new daily folder. I choose "yes" and it works.

I've never re-booted to make it stick.

One thing I'd add is that I'm slow about updating firmware. If the machine is working I'd rather leave it alone than change firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's strange... I too am using 24 hr run TC and my 788 has never "asked" me anything... It has never given me a prompt to start a new folder or anything else...

I've never experienced this in the 6 years I've had my 788t. (But I'm glad to know about it.) I've always used the 24 hour clock setting. At the beginning of the day, when I power up the machine, it asks if I want to create a new daily folder. I choose "yes" and it works.

I've never re-booted to make it stick.

One thing I'd add is that I'm slow about updating firmware. If the machine is working I'd rather leave it alone than change firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk