Help With 788T Folder Issue...

Karl Wasserman

I think I've got it.

If I create the new folder and THEN format the CF card AFTER creating the new folder, it puts new files in the old folder. If I format FIRST, then create the new folder for the day, the files go to the correct place. It happens every time I change the order and I believe it has nothing to do with power or anything else. It has to do with the protocol of the machine once a card has been formatted. Why? I can't say. Just a bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bug at all. Formatting any disk or card should wipe clean the folder you have created, right? I think this is the way all file based systems work isn't it? I know that I always format my mirror CF card (Deva) first before expecting it to accept any data at the beginning of the day. Not sure exactly how Sound Devices handles this but it seems obvious to me that if you make a Folder on your CF card and then format it, that folder should disappear.

Ya it's happened maybe 2 times in 3 years.  Glitch I guess.  The date and time really have nothing to do with it.  I am very meticulous when I set my folder structure so I've eliminated operator error.  I chalk it up to voodoo really.  Files are never lost just in a previous day's folder.  I carry a computer with me at all times so I can create the proper folder structure and also the appropriate sound report information.

two cents.

Not a bug at all. Formatting any disk or card should wipe clean the folder you have created, right? I think this is the way all file based systems work isn't it?

Actually, I think in this case it is a bug. On the Sound Devices recorders you set the folder name in a menu item, but the folder doesn't get created until you first hit record - at least it doesn't show until the first file is recorded. Same applies to daily folder regardless of the recorder offering to create this. Since this is set in the menu, it should work before and after a format

Actually, I think in this case it is a bug. On the Sound Devices recorders you set the folder name in a menu item, but the folder doesn't get created until you first hit record - at least it doesn't show until the first file is recorded. Same applies to daily folder regardless of the recorder offering to create this. Since this is set in the menu, it should work before and after a format

Yes the 788t doesn't write the folder or the file until you press "record", but it keeps the task stored in memory until you do press "record".   I think this is how it works, at least,  it appears that way to me.   I don't think it's a bug.

If I manually change the date setting in the recorder, either foward or backward in time,  the 788t will immediately ask, "Would you like to create a new daily folder?"   It's defining the daily folder as a folder having a date that matches it's internal date setting, and if it doesn't see such a folder , it prompts for it. 

There have been times when I powered up the 788t and it did not ask "Would you like to create a new daily folder?"-- and I think this has happened after the machine has been sitting unused and unpowered for a long time. Usually I'll designate a new top level folder for the job and a daily folder as a midlevel folder, and then the recorder will create those folders once I press record. And the next day, when first powering up, it will prompt again "Would you like to create a new daily folder?" 

thought:  Maybe pressing record (as a test file) serves in place of rebooting the machine to make sure the correct daily folder is selected-  It seems like a good practice anyhow...

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, johngooch said:

I think this has happened to me twice in the past couple of weeks with 688.  I am still retracing my steps-  

Has there been a answer to Karls initial post?  Karl?  

Hi, John! I've never worked with the 688. What I found on the 788T was that, if I generate the new folder first and THEN format the CF, it puts any newly created files in the old folder. If I format a mirror CF card FIRST, then create the new folder for the day, the files go to the correct place. It happens every time I change the order and I believe it has nothing to do with power or anything else. I'm guessing that it has to do with the protocol of the machine once a card has been formatted. I don't know why. A bug? I format the next day's CF card at the end of each night, to avoid this, and so far, all's good.

hmmm...  I think this happened randomly in the middle of the day..    I came back from lunch - powered up my 688 and the got the message asking me if i wanted to start a new date folder.  Never removed power from recorder- just powered down...  but it was after an extended break...2 hours or so....        And also--- i did notice that my TC clock was no longer in sync with my syncboxes....    

1 minute ago, johngooch said:

hmmm...  I think this happened randomly in the middle of the day..    I came back from lunch - powered up my 688 and the got the message asking me if i wanted to start a new date folder.  Never removed power from recorder- just powered down...  but it was after an extended break...2 hours or so....        And also--- i did notice that my TC clock was no longer in sync with my syncboxes....    

Hmm... TOD battery, maybe?

This is all bagwork- yes, using 688 clock for the master.  There is the possibility of operator error- but it would be way out of my usual operating practices.  I will watch very closely. This already yielded in client missing the transfer of critical files so i do not want this to happen again. I had backups but it was a minor panic.