TRX900LA went for a swim

Chase Yeremian

Greetings!

So one of my TRX900LA transmitters fell into the toilet. It went full submersion for 5 seconds or so (according to the story). It was powered off when it happened, had battteries removed immediately after, and was placed in a tupperwear filled with rice shortly after.

A few questions for the more experienced in this situation. I have had a G2 take a full dunk and the rice fix ended up fixing the issue.

In this case, it is still in the rice and will be for at least 48 hours until Monday when I return to set. In the case it turns on and seems to work, should I ask production to cover the cost to send it in to have it looked at by the mothership? Or should I fight to have it replaced? My worry is down the road something was damaged that is not immediately apparent and the unit will breakdown sooner than it otherwise would have had it not taken a dunk.

obviously if it doesn't work come Monday, I will ask to have it replaced.

Just looking for personal experiences and opinions.

Have a great weekend!

Chase

get it replaced. production have insurance for this kind of event.

your worry is absolutely right.
imagine if that transmitter fails next year during something that cannot be repeated, and it is discovered that your transmitter had suffered water damage and you hadn't replaced it.

It's a risky proposition to reassure you that everything will be OK after a device has been immersed in water. The safe advice is to recommend replacement and caution about possible liabilities down the road. So, I tender this with some hesitation and YMMV caution but, I think you'll be just fine.

Unless the unit was dropped into a marine toilet on a boat, your transmitter would have been immersed in fresh water, not salt. Fresh water does not normally harm electronics although there is some risk of shorts while it is powered. Since it was powered off and the batteries were promptly removed, that risk seems minimal. In fact, the Zaxcom transmitter seems pretty well sealed off. Some water could come in through the battery compartment but switches and the like all seem to be membrane buttons so the interior of the unit probably stayed largely dry if it was only immersed for a few seconds.

Salt water immersion is another story entirely because the corrosive properties of salt water are intense.

I once had a Lectrosonics 185 transmitter go through the same sort of event. We dried it off and it worked perfectly from that day to the present. (Admittedly, I haven't checked it in quite some time - that event was more than 20 years ago - but it was fine the last time I looked.)

If it powers up and all functions work properly on Monday, I think you'll be fine.

David

Did it fall in pre or post? As in before or after the person did their business?

Whether it's number 1 or number 2 the person did, or both, I would worry about the salt and urea in urine getting into the electronics if it fell in "post business".

I would claim a new unit from production if I were you.

Good luck

Hey everyone, thanks for your input!

I had talked to production about it and I am going to have it replaced with a new one regardless if it seems to work or not. Its not worth the potential time bomb ticking within. And i'm pretty sure the rule "if you don't use it, you lose it" applies to insurance, and we all must follow the rules!

Either way, I will update you Monday when I attempt to power it on as to what happens.

Thanks,

Chase

I don't gum or if it was a thread on here or somewhere else, but apparently you can buy bags of 100% silica gel that is sold as kitty litter. I never managed to find it in the store, but maybe I should look for it online. That would be a pretty good thing to keep in your backup trunk.

Same thing happened to me with a zax tx. I took the batteries out, dried it out and threw it In my bag. Production paid for a new one.

A few weeks later I took the old one out and put new batteries in. It fired up! I then sent it off to zaxcom for a checkup. Got It back and I use it all day the time now, no issues.

Same thing happened to me with a zax tx. I took the batteries out, dried it out and threw it In my bag. Production paid for a new one.

A few weeks later I took the old one out and put new batteries in. It fired up! I then sent it off to zaxcom for a checkup. Got It back and I use it all day the time now, no issues.

So did you basically get a free transmitter? Production did not ask for it back?

I had a mmt transmitter get wet when we were shooting on a really big boat and there were to many people at one end and it started to go under water. Once people evened out the weight on the boat everything was fine but my mmt that was at the end of the pole got really wet and would not power back up. Production ended up replacing it with a trx 900 as it could not be replaced and the 700 was not available so I opted for the 900 with record and ifb. Technician opened it up and tried to see if it could be fixed to no avail. Production wanted the unit so just gave it back to them in many pieces.

I don't gum or if it was a thread on here or somewhere else, but apparently you can buy bags of 100% silica gel that is sold as kitty litter. I never managed to find it in the store, but maybe I should look for it online. That would be a pretty good thing to keep in your backup trunk.

Just buy your silica bags and units in many sizes from gun stores,  or Bass pro stores....  We use them in gun safes as well....

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Safe-Dri-Rechargeable-Moisture-Control/product/74814/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

http://www.basspro.com/Safe-Dri-2-Disposable/product/56566/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

I keep one of these in my transmitter case...

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrosorbent-OSG-40-Dehumidifier-Desiccant-Chloride/dp/B0037Z8K3E/ref=pd_sim_hi_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=00VSJYTEBBR09GGRAPBC

Yes I basically got a free transmitter. No they did not ask for the unit. It was dead as far as I knew.

I notified the producer right when it happened (talent dropped it in the potty) and then put the cost of a new one on my Invoice. No questions asked.