Tips & Tricks for concealing lavs in SUITS

B Sharp

It's good to see im not the only one battling this beast. It's a bummer because I feel the starch shirt / no tie combo is going to be a "thing" for awhile.

Things that have worked for me-

hiding mic in plain sight, [b6, TL40, Mickey Mic] on wide shots you can get away with more than you would normally think. I just let wardrobe and scripty know where the mic is ahead of time.

also, I am becoming a big believer in top stick, not to mount the mic, but to control the clothing  directly around the mic. Taping shirts to jackets, shirts to skin.

overcovers work well if you can get rid of the giant nipple effect.

If i absolutely have to on hairy chests, I put mole skin down on the chest first, then attach the mic to the moleskin, with more moleskin.

good luck, and if you find the magic formula let us know.

To tape down stubby/short chest hair i found a tape called Mepitac. Its a very soft, broad silicone tape that wont pull any hair when beeing removed. it doesnt stick too well, but mostly well enough, except for talents with heavy perspiration. on long chest hair it doesnt work.

I'm surprised you all tape directly to the hairy chest. I could never do that - I think. Considered it a few times, but decided against it.  Especially moleskin, can't believe you actually put that right on a chest. I prefer to be on good terms with the actor. 

If an actor has a hairy chest, I ask costumes to suggest the actor wear an undershirt. The neck can be cut so as not to see it on an open collar, or a v-neck undershirt can be used. Costumes usually are ok with this, as it also helps keep sweat off the main shirt. Tape to the undershirt or between buttons as normal. The undershirt will help with chest hair noise. 

Or... if everyone is willing... cut into the jacket and place the mic where the pocket sqare (handkerchief) would go. Or put it in the handkerchief if there is one. We did this on a show with lead character always in jacket. Very expensive jackets. Fun to see costumes hack through layers of fancy lining on Brooks Brothers clothing :-)   It's not ideal if they talk away from that side, but better than constant scratching. 

Edited by RPSharman

I worked with robin williams last year and he sincerely begged me to shave a patch of chest hair for him if it meant an improvement in his audio.

as I was micing him, he told me how concerned he has always been about sounding ok after some smaller projects when he was younger, and as he was a constant talker, he gladly shared (talked about) several other good alternative suggestions from his years of experience.

that micing moment was a delightful conversation for me. (and it turned into a rather long 25 minute moment, since he was such a chatterbox).

So many of these situations sound to me like they are on documentaries/corporate videos.

I always put the Lavs on the outside in these instances after discussions regarding sound quality.

​This particular shoot was for development on a reality series. In my experience (in desperation, I did this once, and the DP was not happy with the picture quality), seeing a lav head is not acceptable. 

I'm surprised you all tape directly to the hairy chest. I could never do that - I think. Considered it a few times, but decided against it.  Especially moleskin, can't believe you actually put that right on a chest. I prefer to be on good terms with the actor. 

​This measure-of-last-resort is not undertaken lightly or without permission and the offer of adhesive remover for after wardrobe is removed.

I have to say that I have been impressed by the number of actors who have volunteered that it would be okay to tape directly to their hairy chest.  It's an accommodation that I try not to abuse.

One of the things I like most is the collaborative nature of our work, and the cheerful willingness to accept personal discomfort to further a project is a stellar example of that collaboration.

​This measure-of-last-resort is not undertaken lightly or without permission and the offer of adhesive remover for after wardrobe is removed.

Yes, of course. I probably worded it too strongly. John B. put it well (as always). Sticking tape on someone's hairy chest doesn't automatically mean that the actor gets angry. As a last resort I'm totally on board with that, but some here made it sound like the chest was their go to place no matter what. 

Hey B Sharp!

If you get lucky right off the bat with the guy having long hair past the neck and you have small hairpins on hand, see if you can rat a B6 lav thru his hair from the back up to his hairline. Any time you get away with miking successfully through the hair, it'll sound fantastic. Better than miking to shirts in my opinion.

In a tux with a black bowtie, I've had great success sticking a black DPa 40 series, Countryman b3 or Countryman b6 lav on either the left or right flap of the bowtie on the backside. No rustling there. And sounded sweet! Tough luck if the guy has a big double chin. Miking through the tie works well 90% of the time also. Tough luck again if the guy has a big double chin.

I'm thinking that if the new Lectro miniature transmitter is small enough for blazer breast pockets, I would try miking from there too. The lav head would protrude just from the inside top corner of the pocket. You would have to get confirmation if the guy will be wearing the blazer for the entire time of shooting of course.

Another idea is owning different colored lavs for camouflaging especially a B6. I would poke the B6 out in the open through any of the top button holes. Not a good idea however in windy conditions.

It's an art. There are other creative ways out there for sure.

Cheers man and Good Luck!

Edited by José

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I have been impressed by the number of actors who have volunteered that it would be okay to tape directly to their hairy chest.  It's an accommodation that I try not to abuse.

One of the things I like most is the collaborative nature of our work, and the cheerful willingness to accept personal discomfort to further a project is a stellar example of that collaboration.

I'll take this under careful consideration. I've never asked, but I guess it's not out of the question that talent would be okay with the possible discomfort of removing it.

How do you broach the subject, John? Do you suggest it?

"...well, last resort, we could actually tape it to your chest. I'm sure that would do the trick.....[hopeful pregnant pause]..."

I just can't imagine suggesting this, but I'm headed out for some Detachol®.

I'll take this under careful consideration. I've never asked, but I guess it's not out of the question that talent would be okay with the possible discomfort of removing it.

How do you broach the subject, John? Do you suggest it?

"...well, last resort, we could actually tape it to your chest. I'm sure that would do the trick.....[hopeful pregnant pause]..."

I just can't imagine suggesting this, but I'm headed out for some Detachol®.

Quite often as I explain I'm going to hide the mic I may ask if their chest is hairy.  I've been surprised by the number of times the person has replied with something along the lines of, "Yes, but it's okay if you need to tape it there." 

Naturally, I try for an alternative, but there have been times when this level of cooperation has been a welcome solution.

Hello everyone, I am new to jwsoundgroup and this is my first post.

I am "lucky" enough to have thick hair chest so I can test things on myself. Hair noise under tight dress shirts is probably the worst lav noise of all, so first thing I secured the mic for that. My hair is thick and long, taping isn't an option. Lav-strap is my favorite solution to minimize hair chest noise, either underneath the pectorals or above the nipples, under armpits (depending on the shirt cut and the size of the talent). It may feel uncomfortable for a minute, but it's easy to get used to. The problem I have with the lav strap is that it's subject to the shirt rubbing against it, especially with "up/down" fabric movements, like if the talent shrugs his shoulders. So, I cut a square of Super Stick It double sided tape and stick it between the center of the lav strap and the shirt, so that they don't rub. It works aesthetically also, cause under the buttons the fabric is thicker and you can't see the trick. It seems to hold really well. I wore it for a bit and moved around and it stays in place and it's by far the quietest and fastest/less invasive solution I found, at least on my body. The only hair noise left from time to time is a very high pitch crackle (if the talent breathes deeply for example), which is the easiest noise to take out in post with a crackle remover. Im using a Sanken with the RM-11. If shirt is incredibly tight and you see the "bump" underneath it, I take off the RM-11, although I do have some tight shirts and still couldn't see it. 

I am aware this is not the final solution and it may be affected by body/shirt types, but it seems to be a good one to have among others. 

Quite often as I explain I'm going to hide the mic I may ask if their chest is hairy.  I've been surprised by the number of times the person has replied with something along the lines of, "Yes, but it's okay if you need to tape it there." 

Naturally, I try for an alternative, but there have been times when this level of cooperation has been a welcome solution.

Thanks John, for offering that diplomacy advice. A few jobs back, the talent might have answered: 'No, I'm no longer hairy under there..I just shaved my chest four days ago' (!!). It sounded like his chest hair was rioting under there. I never heard such a symphony of stubble and starch.

But yes, to simply broach the subject might be the best way to get alignment with the thought, before pulling out the adhesive tape.

If an actor has a hairy chest, I ask costumes to suggest the actor wear an undershirt. The neck can be cut so as not to see it on an open collar, or a v-neck undershirt can be used. Costumes usually are ok with this, as it also helps keep sweat off the main shirt. Tape to the undershirt or between buttons as normal. The undershirt will help with chest hair noise.

That's another good inexpensive answer. Seems most of the good answers are pretty inexpensive, so I'm going to make a huge kit of wireless quieting solutions. Having a few sizes of cheap Hanes (NIB) undershirts would be a great addition to this kit.

Thanks Robert!

Hello everyone, I am new to jwsoundgroup and this is my first post.

I am "lucky" enough to have thick hair chest so I can test things on myself. Hair noise under tight dress shirts is probably the worst lav noise of all, so first thing I secured the mic for that. My hair is thick and long, taping isn't an option. Lav-strap is my favorite solution to minimize hair chest noise, either underneath the pectorals or above the nipples, under armpits (depending on the shirt cut and the size of the talent). It may feel uncomfortable for a minute, but it's easy to get used to. The problem I have with the lav strap is that it's subject to the shirt rubbing against it, especially with "up/down" fabric movements, like if the talent shrugs his shoulders. So, I cut a square of Super Stick It double sided tape and stick it between the center of the lav strap and the shirt, so that they don't rub. It works aesthetically also, cause under the buttons the fabric is thicker and you can't see the trick. It seems to hold really well. I wore it for a bit and moved around and it stays in place and it's by far the quietest and fastest/less invasive solution I found, at least on my body. The only hair noise left from time to time is a very high pitch crackle (if the talent breathes deeply for example), which is the easiest noise to take out in post with a crackle remover. Im using a Sanken with the RM-11. If shirt is incredibly tight and you see the "bump" underneath it, I take off the RM-11, although I do have some tight shirts and still couldn't see it. 

I am aware this is not the final solution and it may be affected by body/shirt types, but it seems to be a good one to have among others. 

There's so much to still be worked out with mounting lav heads and getting them quiet on talent. Seems there's lots of inexpensive little tricks and ways to get inventive with fabrics and adhesives...

Matteo, great that you have a good 'test bench' to try that stuff on. I might, in desperation, have to hire a hairy restless guy to let me simply test this stuff with sometime soon. Seems it takes some real R&D, and practice calling the right solution fast, combined with scouring the DIY shoppes for interesting and innovative solutions.

And welcome to JWS!

That's another good inexpensive answer. Seems most of the good answers are pretty inexpensive, so I'm going to make a huge kit of wireless quieting solutions. Having a few sizes of cheap Hanes (NIB) undershirts would be a great addition to this kit.

Thanks Robert!

Not NIB (if that means New In Box).  

Launder them several times to soften them even more.