TRX900LT Battery Life

joshbinder

I've only recently adopted the Zax setup after being a longtime lectro person. I got a decent deal on a used set of TRX900LT and QRX100q with QIFB

The convenience with time code and internal recording and the erxtcd is the whole reason I jumped in and it is quite nice. The big issue I'm having is that the transmitters seem to blast through batteries in like no time. I mean like I was changing batteries every 30-40 min.

This doesn't sound right to me,

I believe I am on the correct battery setting but maybe someone can help me out here.

Thanks

Also, keep in mind the battery indicator is only accurate if you have the correct battery type set in the extended menu. For example, If the battery type is set to Lithium and the battery actually in the TRX is alkaline or Nimh, it will say it's about to die very quickly (when it actually ha a lot of juice left.)

**Edit: I just reread the OP and it seems you are aware there is a battery setting. but worth noting and double checking that it's correct. I switch back from Lithiums and Nimh all the time based on the style shoot. I forget to change the setting a lot and it always throws me off.

Have you run a set of batteries until they died? What batteries did you use, and how long until the tx shut off? Note alkalines are not recommended.

Also note the battery indicator reads differently on zax than on lectro. On zax the icon is only full at the very start up, and will appear to drop rapidly, but will run completely empty before starting to flash which gives another 20-30 minutes (or more on the double bat versions). It's easy to think your batteries are closer to dead than they are until you get used to the metering.

On the transmitter in the lock screen, you can display the voltage by pressing the down button. I would suggest firing up your transmitter at home and monitoring the battery voltage over time and see how that relates to the battery indicator on your qrx. That will give you a good sense of what you are seeing.

I have had the same experience as Wandering Ear, getting used to the battery reporting with Zaxcom which, as noted, is quite a bit different than Lectro. I have been using the Zaxcoms for so long now that battery reporting is very clear and accurate for me. It was a bit of a shock when I first discovered that the battery can be blinking "0" and I still have typically another 15 or 20 minutes of runtime. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other how the battery reporting is done by the other companies, maybe the way Lectro does it is better, maybe not, it doesn't matter to me since I use only Zaxcom. It is a problem, sometimes, when I have someone on my crew working who has never used Zaxcom wireless --- they often get freaked out when worrying about battery life.