Retaining source audio file names in A/V sync process in Resolve?

Joe Finlan

Doing some audio post workflow tests with an editor using Davinci Resolve 11 and Final Cut Pro.  Production shot some tests using SD 664 and BM Ursa.  Fed tc from SD to slate and Ursa.  I was supplied with a copy of all the original source audio. 

In Resolve the editor synced the 664 source audio files to the Ursa's RAW video clips.  All synced as it should.  He then exported the video (as proxies) and synced audio for use in FCP.  On the FCP timeline everything is in sync but the audio has now been renamed to their associated video clips' titles rather than retaining the source audio files' names (scene#, take#). They sent me an xml file of a rough edit but of course the names of the audio clips no longer match the source audio files so I can't match them.

Does anyone have any idea how the editor can keep the source audio file names when they export the synced files from Resolve to FCP so the xml file will show the correct file names that I have?   I've perused the BM forums and searched around the net but haven't found an answer. 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Final Cut Pro pretty much screws everything up, harshly put. I mixed a show last fall where I recorded ISOs and fed TC to camera, plus a two channel mix to camera. The recorded files were dumped on a drive and the editors cut in FCP saying "We'll add the ISO audio later, in Pro Tools or whatever". Yeah right.

Don't know why, but it just deletes pretty much every metadata item; Timecode, Scene name and.. yeah. Everything you'd actually need...

FCP7 sees the clips as video clips (with sound) not as separate picture and sound clips, right, since Resolve married them together.  I don't know of a way to perhaps put the audio file name somewhere in the Resolve clip metadata that FCP can read it….this is perhaps an opportunity for a programmer to make a new sort of utility.  Have you tried opening those Resolve clips in a diff editor, Premiere or Avid?

philp

There are a lot of Resolve issues like this. As a long time Resolve user, my take is:

1) only use Resolve for dailies. Do all your syncing in your editing program (like Avid), which is much more cooperative in terms of handing off the dialogue editing chores to Pro Tools.

2) my observation is that Resolve is being pitched as a finishing tool, not an editing tool. It's good for the final conform and color and all that stuff, but not for editing sound, syncing up multiple tracks, and all that stuff. 

3) a lot of editing functionality gets fixed in Resolve 12, which will be out in July.