JW's New Look

Eric Toline

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Greg, things will get better with the overall look and feel (and function) of the site. It took many months of work on the old site to get it to the really good place --- it's going to take some work here but I'm sure it will be an improvement. Others have told me that the mobile (device aware) verson is quite good now with this update but I haven't really spent that much time with it. I hate Tapatalk, just my own personal feeling, but there are lots of members who use it. Tapatalk is fully functional now after Tapatalk updated their plug-in to provide support for IPB 4.0 update. Go ahead and try it, might work out for you. I would suggest possibly spending a little more time with the mobile version to make sure you're getting the most out of it.

So today the "New Content" page appears more responsive...rather than an overly thin center column of new topics, the column is now nicely wider and easier to read. Yay!

But I'm still having trouble when I click on a topic to see that new content. When I click on a topic, I'm brought to the first page and first post of the topic (even though I click "mark all as read" after opening the topics I want to see). So for example in this thread:

I'm brought to a post from 2012, rather than the two new posts made in the last day or so.

I'm on latest Mac OS and latest Safari (so no blaming Redmond, Jeff :-)  )

What am I doing wrong? Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

It has come to my attention over the years that everybody has their own special routine when they come to JWSOUND to check things out. It was quite a surprise to me when I first heard that many Bookmark the "View New Content" page so that after logging in that's where they start. All the stuff on the Home Page with the sidebar and messages, notices to the members, etc., is never seen. So, back to the New Content and recent posts, on the main Home Page, a darkened icon (to the left of a given section) means there is new content there (don't click on that icon, though, because for some ridiculous reason that will mark everything as read!). Across from the section title you will see an indication of the last post to the topic. Clicking on that will take you right to the latest post. For example, in the screenshot, Current > JW's new look will take you to the post I made a few minutes ago.

Home.thumb.jpg.a8ee778a77ed947a2b0e5b3e7

Woah, was away a few days for work and come back to a whole different looking site! haha

On my laptop's web browser, I like the look thus far. Everything seems to function as it did before the change, just with different look. On my phone, I use Tapatalk, and it seems to work ok some of the time, but it has weird quirks that make it sort of unusable most of the time. I took a look at the mobile version of the website through my phone's web browser, and I was a bit overwhelmed by it. I'll have to try again later when I'm not as distracted by work.

Thanks Jeff for all your work and effort to making this a great place for all of us to commune all things production sound.  : )

I have to try again later when I'm not as distracted by work.

Do try again. I am currently transitioning from Tapatalk too, as it's just not working anymotfor me. The mobile version is actually pretty nice to use, once you get used to how it all works. You'll make progress by the minute.

When in the New Content list (or in any list think) you have to click on the little icon to the left of the title --- this will be either a bullet • or a star. Clicking on the icon will take you to the most recent post in that topic.

​Thanks. That helps a lot...

Not able to reply (or edit down quotes) properly. Screen keeps narrowing to extreme proportions. Just two things going on at the moment. I tried signing out and back in, but it remembered my 'mistakes' (quoting Richard and Rado half a dozen times ...). Also can't seem to cancel a reply (to start again fresh) - is there still a button for this? I see only 'submit reply'. Daren't now press either 'delete' or 'return' - I'm just going to send this as I type and hope for the best! Using a xx an old browser on an old puter but that's what i've got and it doesn't seem to work> Sorry! Jez Adamson

Wow! This is the first report of so many drastically bad things happening. I'm not sure what I can do from here but let me look into some things and I will get back to you. I see that there isn't a CANCEL button anymore (that's a shame) but when I have had to abandon a reply (comment) I just hit the back key on the browser without submitting. I think there should be a CANCEL button in place like there used to be.

Wow! This is the first report of so many drastically bad things happening. I'm not sure what I can do from here but let me look into some things and I will get back to you. I see that there isn't a CANCEL button anymore (that's a shame) but when I have had to abandon a reply (comment) I just hit the back key on the browser without submitting. I think there should be a CANCEL button in place like there used to be.

​Cheers Jeff, as you can see I've managed to submit a few brief posts without problems - but I'm holding off from pressing delete or return or trying to edit down qot ahem quotes! So the main post I intnded will wait (its for the R4+ anyway so plentry I mean plenty of time). Seemed OK yesterday, even with the windows jumping between full width and narrow (and super narrow) so maybe after I reboot computer and try again things will work. Could well be just at my end, or a bad day ... cheers again, Jez

Jez, I looked at your membership profile just to make sure that you were not a victim of a very rare occurrence of having a different theme selected for the forum rather than the site wide default theme. This happened to one or two people in the past but it's not the case with you --- everything is cool with your membership and your settings. Hope you have some luck on your end after a re-boot.

Do try again. I am currently transitioning from Tapatalk too, as it's just not working anymotfor me. The mobile version is actually pretty nice to use, once you get used to how it all works. You'll make progress by the minute.

​I've given it another go, and you're right. I've gotten more used to the mobile web interface, to the point that I actually like it. Tapatalk was being too unstable for me, sometimes working, but many times being weird. The ads were getting annoying too...

Edited by josefrias

José and anyone else in our Tapatalk group, feel free to keep trying to use Tapatalk if you want to. The ads should be gone now and Tapatalk should have updated the client side app that you install on your mobile device. As all you know I am not a fan and I feel pretty helpless trying to deal with problems people may have. I would prefer that everyone spend the time learning the IPB mobile theme for 4.0 as José says he is doing and my hope would be that this will work for you.