JW's New Look

Eric Toline

Cant thank you enough for ALL the hard work and time you put in on this forum... really....

My vote though, and I am probably the only one.... I much preferred the other version...  My eyes struggle with the layout and font.. It seems much harder to read and poke around...  Probably just me...  who knows...

It does seem to get better as time goes forward...

Edited by afewmoreyears

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just postin to figure out my display name :P. Major problems logging in....

​You had success, it seems. The whole username - display name thing has been as royal pain for quite a few. The browser remembering and auto-filling old login credentials is part of the problem and most browsers can be vary stubborn about this. The goal, of course, is to have your browser remember the proper login and everything should happen as easily as it used to.

​You had success, it seems. The whole username - display name thing has been as royal pain for quite a few. The browser remembering and auto-filling old login credentials is part of the problem and most browsers can be vary stubborn about this. The goal, of course, is to have your browser remember the proper login and everything should happen as easily as it used to.

​Yes, I think I've had to reset my password 6 or 7 times now, but I seem to finally have figured out what to input at log in :D.

Edited by Rasmus Wedin

This is purely personal preference. In the previous version I would regularly check the forums by searching for FreqFinder and taking note of the "Unread" markers. I'm not seeing the "Unread" markers in the search results anymore. Also, I prefer sort by "Date", though I can see why you'd choose sort by "Relevance" 

I think you may find that you can fine-tune Search to return the results you want and we're used to in the past. Also, fine-tuning New Content in conjunction with your Follow preferences you should be able to get a pretty tidy list. With every update, as you know, we gain things, we lose things, some things get broken, we are always going to be faced with figuring out how to use it after an update.

• 3 weeks later...

Jez, I looked at your membership profile just to make sure that you were not a victim of a very rare occurrence of having a different theme selected for the forum rather than the site wide default theme. This happened to one or two people in the past but it's not the case with you --- everything is cool with your membership and your settings. Hope you have some luck on your end after a re-boot.

Hi Jeff, a little update, and I hope your mood has improved since yesterday!! (Ahem!) Well I seem to be able to correct mistakes (ie press delete) without problems so that's good. I haven't tried multiquoting yet so I guess I'll see. What still seems not to work properly is that the display flips from full wide screen (its OK now as I type a post) to ridiculously narrow - it seems somewhat randomly - when I'm signed in. When I'm not signed in it works perfectly. I'd be interested if anyone else has such problems or if its just me. Might have to change browser but I'm using an oldish laptop that might blow and join its friends in apple heaven soon anyway. For the last month I've simply hardly signed in - too busy as much as the format problems - saving everyone my posts, so there's an obvious benefit right there ...

Cheers Jeff, Jez

Always enjoy your posts so don't hold back! I have not had any problems of the sort you describe reported to me by anyone else and I'm not able to duplicate it on my end. I can only speculate, now that you have told me you are using an older computer running possibly a much older operating system, that the problem is with your browser. If you tell me that the browser is an older version of Internet Explorer, I can assure you that there lies the problem. This forum software (as well as several other forum packages in current use) have notoriously had problems with Microsoft's Internet Explorer. The current version of this IPB forum software is about as compatible with all major browsers as is possible.

Since the problem occurs when you are signed in, that means that cookies are in play (in your browser to remember your settings and so forth) but does not occur when you are just viewing the site not signed in. To further troubleshoot this, I would suggest signing in from another (newer) computer with a current browser and see what happens.

Hi Jeff, a little update, and I hope your mood has improved since yesterday!! (Ahem!) Well I seem to be able to correct mistakes (ie press delete) without problems so that's good. I haven't tried multiquoting yet so I guess I'll see. What still seems not to work properly is that the display flips from full wide screen (its OK now as I type a post) to ridiculously narrow - it seems somewhat randomly - when I'm signed in. When I'm not signed in it works perfectly. I'd be interested if anyone else has such problems or if its just me. Might have to change browser but I'm using an oldish laptop that might blow and join its friends in apple heaven soon anyway. For the last month I've simply hardly signed in - too busy as much as the format problems - saving everyone my posts, so there's an obvious benefit right there ...

Cheers Jeff, Jez

Weird dimensions between boards.

"Home" (not "Main Board" link)

jw_two_home.thumb.jpg.bfbf44957372b8b787

"Daily Journal"

jw_three_dailyjournal.thumb.jpg.d9d6eafb

Cameras board

jw_one.thumb.jpg.f13fcaf987f93a1e9d362f8

Ok. I have a strong OCD, but you can ignore me, Jeff.

You mean something like this, Jez?

You mean something like this, Jez?

I think Jez's problem is more extreme. Vas, are you still seeing things the way you have pictured above (posted on June 1st)?

Exactly like that, only, as Jeff says, more extreme. Much more! Less than half that size ... a third even. And I'm currently editing on a computer that only rarely goes online for installations (to prevent mis-installations etc) so my old macbook (with its old settings and old software) is my daily email (apart from the damn tellyphone of course) ... my only post G4 mac that hasn't blown - though I'm sure that G4 and the G3 laptop still do what they can OK. Anyway Jeff, I'm pretty sure its just the older browser and OS I'm still using, so I'll probably sign in to post then sign out to read until I get things sorted. And atop that ramble I've just here managed to ascertain that the multiquote seems to be working great again - and also the window stays wide whilst writing / replying to posts so I'm happy there.

Never got around to saying I like the air force blue palette, so there we are! Cheers VAS and Jeff,  Jez