Lectrosonics R1a to listen to individual talent mics

Pablo Villegas

I ran into this exact situation on a show I did last year..However it was with A LOT more people. 5 main cast members and each cast had supporting people 2-3 each.

Our absolutely truly fantastical amazing EP just had to be able to dial in to every single cast member...individually whenever she wanted.

We dodged a bullet and put her little pipe dream to bed when she found out how much it was going to cost for an IFB TX for 11-17 people!

She had to settle for a lousy comtek feed from each mixer...poor lady.

In this situation we could have used another entire sound mixer just to run IFB feeds...

I ran into this exact situation on a show I did last year..However it was with A LOT more people. 5 main cast members and each cast had supporting people 2-3 each.

Our absolutely truly fantastical amazing EP just had to be able to dial in to every single cast member...individually whenever she wanted.

We dodged a bullet and put her little pipe dream to bed when she found out how much it was going to cost for an IFB TX for 11-17 people!

She had to settle for a lousy comtek feed from each mixer...poor lady.

In this situation we could have used another entire sound mixer just to run IFB feeds...

I think this is the answer to the question. Managing expectations.

I think this is the answer to the question. Managing expectations.

​TOTALLY! This ladies expectations were umm...out of this world ridiculous. We did our best to be polite and professional. Like I said it was an easy decision when they found out the cost..for ONE person to be able to hear every single mic was un-realistic.

I have used a UCR401 receiver with the freqs written on white gaff tape on the receiver for each talents transmitter. Headphones can plug directly to the receiver by using a TRS F to XLR F adapter plugged directly to the receiver or with an XLR mic cable. I often use this instead of an R1a for IFB on remote radio broadcasts.

I often use UCR401s to feed guide track to cameras directly from a talent mic in a similar fashion.

iCom products have been used in the past.

Recently the IC-R6.

Mic freqs can be programmed in for talent mics and (if i remember correctly) they can be tuned quickly with the turn of a knob or button. 

Just off the top of my head:

If you dial in the switch setting to a frequency you can actually hear the UHF frequency but it is very very low. It would be noisy but you could amplify that. Then you could set all your talent tx into IFB mode and set the R1a to scan for them. Then switch them back. This is all highly theoretical as I don't have any units with me now to test. Like everyone said, a lot to expect and not easy to switch once set up