Resumé

codyman

Do you all keep an updated, traditional CV/Resumé?  I remember having one years ago when I was first starting, but I hadn't been asked for one until today randomly (I've always just referred people to my website / IMDB page, and even then, usually everything is just word of mouth / referrals from people I've worked with before).  Anyways, the person asking for the resumé is not some fly by night operation or amateur at all, so I was rather taken off guard...

I still do an updated resumé (I have always just called it a list of credits) and I keep the lists current that are up on my various websites. It used to be that when I got a call from someone I don't know even for just my availability, I would always ask them if they wanted a resumé and I would send them one. In the last 10 years or more the answer has often been "oh, I already looked at your IMDB" to which I say I will send them a current list of credits anyway. IMDB has been fairly accurate and up to date for me but I still prefer to have some control over the way I present myself, even at the level of a simple list of credits.

Here you can see what my list of credits looks like (on my website - hard copy looks very much the same minus the movie title slideshow)

I sort of enjoy touching up my resume. I usually wait until I'm done with a job, which tends to be after a few months on a TV series, so it's sort of the cherry on the top at the end. That and updating imdb, too. Every once in a while, I'll try overhauling the resume. Maybe change the format, layout, length, type of info I'm including. I keep it on my website (productionsoundmixer.com), and I've tried to direct people to grab it from there if I'm out and about. But typically, I have an updated one on my computer that I can quickly send out once i get home. 

I do get asked to send in my resume, but I will also tend to offer it up right away. I know everyone uses imdb, but I like handing in a resume because I can control the outlook. Since I do a lot of television, once the title has gone past being "in production", it drops way down on my page, below lesser known movies. The resume allows me to present my work experience the way I'd like, emphasizing the titles I think might be most impressive. Though, the first time I was being considered to mix a tandem episode for "Law & Order," I handed my resume to the UPM and prefaced it with "these are a bunch of movies no one has ever heard of." Hie response was "Great! You're used to working on projects with little time or money for resources. Perfect for TV." 

Sometimes the resume just becomes a conversation starter at an interview. The UPM will scan for any recognizable names or titles and use that as a jumping off point to get a sense of how I work. Since a lot of our work is dependent on reacting to locations and situations, I think it's hard to interview our department. A lot of times it's "oh, you worked on (blank). How was that?" And then you mentally scramble for some interesting tidbit about a past job that hopefully is sound-related. 

Josh

I keep a one page PDF to send to potential clients. I often day play for cable shows that travel into my market  (Nashville, TN).  So the first section of my resume lists the networks I have worked for and it looks like alphabet soup. I think it is more effective than listing specific shows. The next section lists specific spots, then the next section lists features.  I try to update it often and keep it to one page, eliminating spots that are no longer running.

Thanks for all the insightful ideas / samples everyone.  I've started to assemble something as I now figured it is long overdue to have an updated, curated PDF as the ready in case anymore opportunities arise...

The good news though is that I got the gig even without the requested resume so I guess I got lucky this time!