Microphone Shootout, Sound Person Hangout in NYC?

cory

Thinking of possibly holding a shotgun microphone shootout in a couple weeks in NYC with the following microphones:

DPA 4017
Sanken CS3e
Schoeps CMC641
Schoeps CCM41
Schoeps Cmit5u
Rode NTG3
Oktava 012
Sennheiser MKH50 and 60

Would this interest anyone here in NYC? Maybe we'd also get pizza afterwords?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in joining. I've done some comparisons between a few of the mics you listed, but would definitely welcome a more "scientific" approach.

I'd also love to see direct comparisons between:

DPA 4018, MKH50, MKH 8050, CMC641, CCM41, Oktava 012

DPA 4017, MKH60, MKH 8060, CMIT5U, Sanken CS3e

Perhaps at different distances (say 6", 1', 2'?) from sound source, as well as different axis positions / (say 0 / on axis, 45 off axis?).

If we could record and/or film these, we can do double blind tests and see what folks think / like better.

looks like I'll be in the city this weekend and quite possibly a few more weekends coming up.  Would be cool just to meet a few of my NYC brethren.  Don't know if I have any time this weekend since a lot of it will be taken up by driving (coming from Watertown) but will keep tabs if something is organized in the future.

looks like I'll be in the city this weekend and quite possibly a few more weekends coming up.  Would be cool just to meet a few of my NYC brethren.  Don't know if I have any time this weekend since a lot of it will be taken up by driving (coming from Watertown) but will keep tabs if something is organized in the future.

​Tom, even if this mic shootout does not time well with your stay in NYC, we should still set something up while you're here! Gimme a call or shoot me a text - 347-465-0711, we can gather the masses.

I'd be interested in joining. I've done some comparisons between a few of the mics you listed, but would definitely welcome a more "scientific" approach.

I'd also love to see direct comparisons between:

DPA 4018, MKH50, MKH 8050, CMC641, CCM41, Oktava 012

DPA 4017, MKH60, MKH 8060, CMIT5U, Sanken CS3e

Perhaps at different distances (say 6", 1', 2'?) from sound source, as well as different axis positions / (say 0 / on axis, 45 off axis?).

If we could record and/or film these, we can do double blind tests and see what folks think / like better.

Sounds fun, right? I think we should also test them in quiet conditions and with loud ac running.

This sounds really fun!

Date: Friday June 5th

Silver Sound
28 w 27th Street #906
New York, NY

Time: 4PM

There's room for up to 15 folks to attend, so if you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll confirm with you.

email: cory AT silversound DOT us

Edited by cory

This sounds really fun!

Silver Sound
28 w 27th Street #906
New York, NY

Time: 4PM

There's room for up to 15 folks to attend, so if you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll confirm with you.

​You mentioned time, but not date?

I am free and would love to come, but since there is a limit on the number of people, and I have absolutely no knowledge or gear I could contribute, feel free to put me on the waiting list and I'll come as long as the other spots aren't filled up come Friday.