Microphone Shootout, Sound Person Hangout in NYC?

cory

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, pardon my rare, extremely rare participation on JWSound. My name is Denzil Xavier and I'd like to attend. I can bring my mkh 50, 416, and NTG3. Plus, if desired my 816t. I'm curious to compare mics, plus it would be nice to meet a few more sound folks.

Feel free to pm me any replies. 

Edited by DSX
Correcting spelling and word choice.

I am free and would love to come, but since there is a limit on the number of people, and I have absolutely no knowledge or gear I could contribute, feel free to put me on the waiting list and I'll come as long as the other spots aren't filled up come Friday.

Well, pardon my rare, extremely rare participation on JWSound. My name is Denzil Xavier and I'd like to attend. I can bring my mkh 50, 416, and NTG3. Plus, if desired my 816t. I'm curious to compare mics, plus it would be nice to meet a few more sound folks.

Feel free to pm me any replies. 

Really excited about the response.

​Plenty of room. Don't be shy-- please send me an email so I can get an accurate count!

I would love to attend but I'm (allegedly) working that day. Regards to all, just the same...If possible, please include the AT 4073 (short shotgun) and and 4053 (hyper cardioid)  I use these mics a lot and would like to compare (a series) AT 4053 (HC), 4073 (short shotgun) and....   4071 (which I  have, but rarely use) and my 'Sound Room' Oktava 012 (stereo set w/ O, C, HC caps)  Of course, quality varies....  especially with Oktava infomas quality control/

No worries Matt! All are welcome if anyone else is interested, pls send email. We've added the Nuemann shotguns to the list :)

also css-5. If anyone has 418 it would be fun to compare. Any other stereo shotguns used often?

I have some cheap $100/pair monoprice brand microphones that I'll throw in my bag, I've used them once for a stereo audience mic and they seemed surprisingly decent. I'll bring those along for the fun of it. (I have both the hyper and cardioid caps)

Peter

​I so want to hear monoprice microphones! their headphones and cables seem to be good quality, so I'm curious about the microphones. 

We bought some of their large diagphram condensers and quality between them was very different. I wouldn't be surprised to hear different "copies" of their pencil mics sound very different from each other.

But yes, the monoprice mics will be fun!

Hey NYC Soundies! Stoked for the  shoot-out tomorrow from 4pm-6pm! 4:15 is when the recording will actually start, so please try to be on time. Super big thanks to the folks at Pro-Sound NYC who have generously offered to bring in a bunch of mics to fill out the test. Reminder to please bring headphones with you if you have them. Please also bring a ERX or a Block 21/26 Lectro R1a if you have it for yourself because we'll have that set up to listen to. Don't worry about cameras, we've got simple video covered.

Here's the list of everything we've got for tomorrow:
Short Mics
- Schoeps CMC641
- Schoeps CCM 41
- Sennheiser MKH 50
- Sennheiser MKH 8050
- Neumann KM 185
- Oktava MK012

Shotguns
- Sanken CS3e
- Sennheiser MKH 60
- Sennheiser MKH 8060
- Sennheiser MKH 416
- Schoeps CMIT 5 U
- DPA 4017b
- Rode NTG 3
- Neumann KMR 81

Long Shotguns
- Sennheiser MKH 70
- Sennheiser MKH 815 T
- Neumann KMR 82i

Stereo Shotguns
- Sanken CSS-5
- Sennheiser MKH 418s

since everyone liked these. Here is a link to the cigar caddy case that works great for small condenser mics. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007VU67O/ref=twister_B00NX913F6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I keep my schoeps in one and those awe inspiring monoprice mics in another. Cory and I also tested it with an mkh50, and though the foam compresses when you close it, it doesn't feel like you're crushing anything.

looking forward to whatever tracks you guys can post.

peter