Compact Disc

Jeff Wexler

Saying that CD as a media is dead or dying is kinda misleading. Consider that there hasn't been and probably will not be a need for a better format or formats (WAV and MP3). Most players these days play both and even other formats like WMA and AAC. So all the formats work fine for the media. In my opinion this locks in CD's for an indefinite amount of time. Sure we rip our CD's and use other media to store them but we just turn right back around and burn them onto a CD. There will always be a need for physical media until some super data infrastructure that is so readily available and obscenely capable blankets our "modern" society. Heck we can't even get past archaic utility monopolies. Also pricing between CD's and MP3's is way too analogous for one to replace the other. Here's a good read on the "death" of CD's. 

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/01/buying-music-is-so-over/384790/

The last album I bought (two weeks ago) wasn't on CD or even digital.... But rather vinyl! The irony of it all was that I was born in 1988 / CD's had already overtaken vinyl by then. I now have about a 1000 LPs and about another 100 1/4" reel to reel tapes.  For digital I usually use Spotify today...