Zaxcom Auto-Mix Tutorial

Toy Robot

I've created a brief tutorial showing Auto-Mix setup for either a mono or stereo workflow. I think this may help folks who have had questions about Auto-Mix in general, or who had questions about routing and setup so they could begin to experiment with the function. 

Pay no mind to sound flaws in the edit please. I sent sound directly to camera to save time, and iMovie isn't the most robust of programs to edit audio with. I could spend a lot more time cleaning this up, but I believe it's fine for a tutorial.

Anyway, I do hope this helps some of you who may have missed the post on the Zaxcom group on FB. Enjoy.

Zaxcom Auto-Mix Tutorial, Nomad 10 v7.10

Nice little video...

I was surprised to see such a large number of steps involved.... It took a bit to set up... but, there is a great deal of ability to set up so many things...

When I enable the Auto mix on the 788 it takes a few seconds....   not nearly that long, and works great...  I am sure this system works well too...

Nice little video...

I was surprised to see such a large number of steps involved.... It took a bit to set up... but, there is a great deal of ability to set up so many things...

When I enable the Auto mix on the 788 it takes a few seconds....   not nearly that long, and works great...  I am sure this system works well too...

Yeah I thought the same thing.. And I own a Maxx and have used auto mix.

Watching him go through the nomad track routing pages made my head hurt.. It's much easier on the Maxx actually and I don't think you lose much in flexibility.

In my opinion, the Nomad and Maxx would greatly benefit from a complete overhaul of the UI now that the feature set is mostly finalized.

Zaxcom should have a default A-mix button,  u push it and it does all the neccessary adjustments to have auto mix work... 

The only real adjustment, other than the automix parameters such as mic on threshold and attenuation level, is routing. And routing is not one size fits all.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I really did not like the menu record routing in the maxx when I owned one.  I appreciate the matrix system, which is much more flexible.  I would hate to see the matrix routing disappear.

​I agree with you, matrix is better.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I really did not like the menu record routing in the maxx when I owned one.  I appreciate the matrix system, which is much more flexible.  I would hate to see the matrix routing disappear.

​+1. I don't mind the Maxx's routing page, but I do prefer Nomad's routing matrix much more, which affords me more flexibility.

​+1. I don't mind the Maxx's routing page, but I do prefer Nomad's routing matrix much more, which affords me more flexibility.

Truthfully my biggest issue was that I couldn't leave tracks routed and disarm them.  I do end up often combining more than one source to a record track though, which you can't do with a menu routing.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...