Digital Bolex - Audio In

Hey wondering if anyone has worked with the new digital Bolex.  Seems like more of a toy than a real production camera. [arbitrary spinning wheel control]. Looking for experiences / successful work flows for getting usable audio into camera- I found the meters a little weird to use. [initially lining up -20] 

With an internal SSD and no playback function, Ill have to wait until tomorrow to hear about the results.

I saw the camera and I kind of liked it.. CCD chip instead of CMOS, and I think it has a real shutter.

What I couldn't figure out .. is that mic input only?.... no line level.. and is there a way to shut the phantom power off?

At least it has XLR inputs.

Edited by Angelo Waldron

Just one post..but happened to see it in a forum a few minutes ago:

"The pre-amp on the Bolex is awful. Add to that terrible audio controls and it is recipe for disaster. Shot an entire day on it for a feature earlier this year. Two actors speaking at the same volume- One spiked the audio and the other barely registered. Had a top notch Audio team and they couldn't save the audio."

Of course, can hope it's user error or a defective unit but...

It came up in a discussion about using a test Cion, in which they said "I was expecting shit like the Digital Bolex but the preamp is solid."

Edited by Rich Reilly

Just one post..but happened to see it in a forum a few minutes ago:

"The pre-amp on the Bolex is awful. Add to that terrible audio controls and it is recipe for disaster. Shot an entire day on it for a feature earlier this year. Two actors speaking at the same volume- One spiked the audio and the other barely registered. Had a top notch Audio team and they couldn't save the audio."

Of course, can hope it's a defective unit but...

​i don't doubt for a second that the audio part of the bolex is not terribly good, but seriously?

a top notch audio team recording primary sound on a feature on a kickstarted camera for a full day without doing tests first?

Yes..there is that...(grain of salt emoticon)

FWIW as well, another user on Bolex forum says

"The D16 preamps are superb for a digital camera. Probably the best on camera audio quality of any camera on the planet. 

No need for external preamps unless you need a multi-channel mixer or record double system. The D16 seems cleaner and quieter than the cheaper external recorders like the Zoom H series from the music samples so far, which used internal preamp on the instrument mic channel and external preamp for the vocal mic. "

With that..I bow outta this ;)

Edited by Rich Reilly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They had a "top notch team" but weren't recording double-system audio? Jesus.

To me, the only reason to record single-system is if you're getting shot at, running down the street under war/crime conditions, or you're doing a live news feed. Everything else really should be recorded separately, with camera strictly as a backup (or for dailies).