soundcraft SI Expression 1 dante mixer

Jatb51

hello, I'm looking into getting the SD 970, was curious about a dante enabled 16 channel mixer - I want to have the width slim enough to be rack mountable on a sliding shelf. I've looking at the soundcraft expression SI Expression 1, wondering if anyone has thoughts/opinions about this board.

Thanks in advance

J

Richard Lightstone has had quite as lot of experience with this mixer, mostly used as an extra mixer for playback jobs, but he likes it. It is rack width but like the other digital mixers in use now (Yamaha, Behringer, Allen & Heath, etc.) it is heavy, AC powered only, and has tons of features and functions you will never need for production sound work. Personally, I would never want to use the Soundcraft board as my main mixing panel but if you're recorder of choice is the SD 970 you obviously will need some sort of fully capable standalone mixing panel since the SD 970 does not have a mix engine, EQ or Effects, etc. Most of the people I know using the SD 970 are either using the Yamaha board (various models now available as well as the long running 01v) or an analog board, Cooper, Sonosax or Solice.

Nice sounding board, way deep, cheap. I know some very high end live sound installs using this series--they are quite happy with them. I considered them very closely in my last mixer go-round, as a live music recording console--I will be following the development of upgrades adn new models in the series. philp