TentacleSync units arrived

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you mentioned before that you calibrated your Nomad TC

did you have TX problems that made you calibrate the Nomad or you just did it just because.

You've brought this up numerous times and I've already answered it.

So, let me put it this way, if it was bad gear I wouldn't own it.  I've said it many times, "These are only TOOLS, and one should choose the right tool for the job."

The fact that I prefer to have my tools well sharpened should in no way imply that they are inferior.

Constantin: the way I know I have not had any drift is the fact that no one in post has ever even mentioned any discrepencies between my tracks, the slates and the camera (with cameras usually having a sync box, Denecke or Ambient, jammed from my recorder. I don't think the people in post are just being kind and not wanting to upset me --- the timecode systems just as worked, as they should, and everything synced up properly. I have never felt the need to do any of my own bench testing and comparisons. Maybe I've just been lucky? 

I don't think you've been particularly lucky. All of "our" recorders don't drift enough to create issues in post. But they all do drift to some degree. But since we are all aware enough of this, we re-jam at lunch, don't we? Unless you employ some sort of wireless tc equipment. In that case, the drift will simply not be noticed as everything will drift in sync and it won't matter then, of course. 

I think I quoted the wrong post earlier. I should have quoted Bernie's post above "My Nomad doesn't drift"...

You've brought this up numerous times and I've already answered it.

So, let me put it this way, if it was bad gear I wouldn't own it.  I've said it many times, "These are only TOOLS, and one should choose the right tool for the job."

The fact that I prefer to have my tools well sharpened should in no way imply that they are inferior.

​all I am saying is it is helpful to mention that your nomad does not drift because you calibrated it.

2 nomads and 2 maxx here. All drift .

If you are having problems with your Nomad and Maxx time code perhaps you need to have your tc calibrated. The crystal can be calibrated and it can be very precise, and an un-calibrated machine can and will most likely drift. With the amount of tinkering you have done under the hood of your machines there is no telling what is going on any more. So untill you have the crystal professionally calibrated it is unfair to make a general statement that there are time code issues with all zaxcom products. 

I have been using both Nomad and Maxx for several years and I have recorded hundreds of hours of audio and I have had zero complaints about any drift issues. 

Edited by Jack Norflus
Spelling error.

TCXO types

Although temperature compensated crystal oscillators are normally referred to in this manner, occasionally more detailed descriptions are used. This has resulted in the variety of techniques that can be used to provide the temperature compensation.

• ADTCXO:   This is an Analogue Digital TCXO. This form of TCXO has been widely used in cell phones. This uses analogue technology to provide temperature correction to the oscillator. It has the advantage that changes take place slowly and no phase jumps are experienced as occurs with some all-digital types.
  • DTCXO:   As may be guessed, this is a digital TCXO. It uses a temperature sensor and then logic and mathematical functions use digital circuitry along with a look up table. The resulting digital correction figure is converted to an analogue signal using a digital to analogue converter, DAC.
  • DCXO:   This is a form of oscillator where any correction is calculated by the host processor within the equipment. In this way, the TCXO is not a separate entity, but the processing is incorporated within that of the overall equipment. This can help save costs in some instances.
  • MCXO:   This form of TCXO uses a microprocessor to provide a considerably increased level of processing to provide more accurate compensation under a variety of circumstances. While performance is a little better, costs are above those of the other forms.

TCXOs are widely used where accurate frequency sources are needed. They are less expensive and smaller than oven controlled oscillators, as such they offer an ideal solution for many portable units requiring a reasonably accurate source.

I don't know how the conversation has been converted again for Zaxcom. AGAIN

​agreed.

my units arrived friday. wanted to test them against my 633 but they always shut off after two hours.

so i asked the tentacle guys what i'm doing wrong and got an email within a few hours (on a sunday) got a reply where they explained to me that that's a power acing feature where the units power off after 2 hours if there's no mini-jack connected. clever idea so you don't end up with an empty unit by accident.

12hours in i get 0.5 frames drift vs the 633 (flickering between 0 and 1). since both units do this i suspect that they are accurate between themselves and the 633 is half a frame off, so might consider keeping one unit always on the 633 (this test comes next : )

chris

​all I am saying is it is helpful to mention that your nomad does not drift because you calibrated it.

This is an inaccurate statement that either reveals an acute lack of time code understanding or an unveiled attempt to promote a negative agenda. Neither is a service to this community.

As others have pointed out it's time to stop such nonsense and let the thread return to being on-topic.

Just looked at their website a bit. 

Are the rechargeable batteries removable? It says "built in", but also says "replaceable" If these are to be used everyday, when do you charge them if the batteries aren't removable? Does "replaceable" mean sending the units in to get the batteries switched?

Couple of days with my pair of fresh Tentacle/Syncs.  Quite impressive, especially for a device designed mostly for the DSLR crowd.  I am impressed also that this board has taken such an interest in them.  Mine were purchased in support of a very interesting company with a great dream:  Providing a solid time code solution to 'non professional' (read w/o timecode) cameras. 

In my world:  One LockIt, a couple of TC recorders and a Denecke Smart Slate lock me to Pro cameras - But with the ever increasing non pro cameras that keep appearing - I thought I'd try a 'sub-thousand dollar' TC device.

The Test:  2 - Tentacle/Syncs, 1 Smart Slate, 1 LockIt & an SD633 recorder.  After charging & very easy setup I Jammed everything to the 633 as master.  Two, 8 hour tests (23.976 and 29.97D) - 8 hours that's Eight hours each, not one frame of drift. 

Tent_TC_Test_.thumb.jpg.446823392155e236

I eagerly checked each device every hour or so with the TC comparison tool in the 633 - always at "0" - that's Zero difference. 

Loved the comparison shot of the Tent and the 9v battery.  One thing the photo doesn't show - the Tent actually weighs less than a 9v.  Stick it on a camera and forget it - 40 hour full charge claimed battery life. 

The software:  Quick test feeding Tent-TC into a GoPro.  The "Dongle" that makes the software work is a Tentacle.  Loaded GP files and Sound files into the TentacleSync software, Bam done.  Nice browser and viewer.   Then exported the MP4 GP files to ProRes 422 with TC and Synced audio.  They also promise MXF read and export with OSX 10.10 (not tested yet).

The onboard mic seems pretty useless.  I think they'd be better off offering an input jack for reference audio.  Until then I'm going to build a cable that will join the Tent-TC with a Comtek for reference into a DSLR.

Looking forward to the iOS set up app & user bits, and maybe, if they are listening, an input jack for reference audio.

So far I think they have an affordable winner - right at the git-go.

M*

Michael Stahr, Mixer 

Battery is charged with the supplied 6" USB cable or your standard USB cable to any USB 5v source.  They do not supply a charger, but hey, any powered USB hub or USB charger or your laptop will work fine.  1.5 hours to fully charge.

40 hour battery life.  Replaceable yes, but you probably won't have to for some time.  It looks like a tiny lithium cell inside.

Interesting the 2 hour shutoff - when no TC cable is plugged in.  These guys are very good.  I look forward to a full "User Manual" with all the tips and inside info.

M*

Battery is charged with the supplied 6" USB cable or your standard USB cable to any USB 5v source.  They do not supply a charger, but hey, any powered USB hub or USB charger or your laptop will work fine.  1.5 hours to fully charge.

For example the Nomad's USB port should charge it, too, in an emergency for example.

I don't think charging will be a problem even for daily everyday use. Only about 1.5 hours for full recharge from any USB charging-port. The battery is a fairly readily available type that can be changed by the user when, and if, the time comes that it has lost capacity and fails to take a charge.

One thing I did discover is that userbits, typically the date, are not yet supported. The TentacleSync people have advised me that there will be userbit support with a software update soon.

2 nomads and 2 maxx here. All drift .

using a mozegear TigQ28 for master clock.

How do you know it's not the Tig that's drifting?

just to wrap up my strain of this thread: As John said, all devices drift, no matter how well calibrated they are, except for a master clock that's calibrating itself to a gps signal. So a statement like "my device doesn't drift" is untrue. At the same time the statement "I don't experience any issues with my device and drift" is still often true as we and various manufacturers have found ways around it, by syncing twice a day or by providing a wireless link to make sure that all devices will drift by the same amount and then it won't matter anymore. 

Oh and the statement "I haven't heard from post so..." doesn't mean there weren't issues, it just means they didn't bother to tell you. Unless you asked them

so might consider keeping one unit always on the 633 (this test comes next : )

Yes, I think that's why rhey have two Tentacles in their standard set. One on recorder one on camera. as they can very easily re-sync to each other's TC this would be a viable and easy route. 

At the moment I'm still going the old(er) way by syncing the Tentacle to my 788 and hand that off to camera. Then I keep the second one on a USB port to recharge, so I'll always have one ready. 

At the moment I'm still going the old(er) way by syncing the Tentacle to my 788 and hand that off to camera. Then I keep the second one on a USB port to recharge, so I'll always have one ready. 

​In your case with the Alexa, did the cam dept jam sync from the Tentacle or feed continuous TC, thus bypassing the internal Ambient clock?

my units arrived friday. wanted to test them against my 633 but they always shut off after two hours.

so i asked the tentacle guys what i'm doing wrong and got an email within a few hours (on a sunday) got a reply where they explained to me that that's a power acing feature where the units power off after 2 hours if there's no mini-jack connected. clever idea so you don't end up with an empty unit by accident.

I love this. It's a feature not a bug!

​In your case with the Alexa, did the cam dept jam sync from the Tentacle or feed continuous TC, thus bypassing the internal Ambient clock?

I don't know to be honest. the first day they were definetely just jamming, as they kept handing the Tentacle back to me. But now they are keeping it on all the time, so I'm guessing they are feeding continuous TC, but to be certain I need to ask.