DPA 4098 - first impressions

Jeff Wexler

To clarify, RS, the plan I outlined and executed was from long-form narrative with one predictably on-script and one expert improviser as players with whom I'd worked at least a month. Two months the other fine lady.

We did the scene twice, once for the wide in the below-freezing cold during which production thoughtfully cancelled the coverage and moved it to a green screen stage for another day, so I'd seen it performed a number of times before we actually shot it when it mattered.

Kinda ideal.

I don't recall whether they opened windows for lenses. Stationery. Stage. Come to think of it, this was pretty darned quiet as it gets in NY. The noise floor was not high enough to draw my attention from triple checking gain staging and the shape and quality of the coverage.

I tend to place mics for the space rather than for the mouth when planting. I don't use 'em as boom mics. Reflections play a lot and I have Julie Stalker-Wilde to thank for explaining that relative to how she approached a window or table with a hyper cardioid.

Another priority of thought is potential for consistency regardless of what camera does.

I'd also heard the lady screaming in a similar late model car. Open windows at camera. Quiet country locale. Not moving.

This scene involved now two screaming at the tops of their lungs.

Were this a driving shot would have probably certainly mounted a Schoeps MK4, in the middle, lav'ed 'em and planted two cubs since I've not yet formally solved this mic's lack of high-wind protection. Fact is, I have Joe'd the foam onto it. Have the fake fur in hand, just need to get the materials together and do it. In the meantime, gumbanded extant hand-wrought cub softies that were too thick at the workin' part and lost some valuable frequencies.

Make more sense now?

Edited by Jan McL
For certainty.

No. Haha. But it's been a long day, and I'm tired. 

What I love about this job is the constant learning of new and different ways to do things, in search of that bit of nuance in the sound and performance. 

I love reading your very narrative descriptions, even if I can't always visualize :-)

We use this a vehicle plant mic with a lectro tx unit a lot.

We also have CUBs and an Omnigoose.

The cool thing about the DPA is that we can play the pattern in a car with an open window, and still get great results.

The omnigoose is noticeably higher noise floor, and the DPA is of course not a BLM...

The DPA is the one we like the sound of the best, but if we have to cover a pair of speakers in real process, then the CUB pattern works better for us.

RE: extra wind protection.. so far, we've tried foot foam and moleskin... and liked neither..

Edited by Christopher Mills

Went to Pro Sound this week, and ran a test to compare the Sanken CUB-01, the Peter Engh Omnigoose, the Production Talent InstaStash, and the DPA 4098 mic. I recorded them all, too. Da Mangler (Michael McQueen) was kind enough to provide his beautiful southern voice. I'm writing up a post, and will upload the recordings, so I'll share it soon (hopefully tomorrow).

Spoiler alert: I ordered two DPA 4098s.

As I previously mentioned, last week I went to Pro Sound NYC looking for the best stash microphone, and had the chance to test out the Sanken CUB-01, Peter Engh Omnigoose, Production Talent InstaStash, and DPA 4098 microphones against each other.

With the assistance of Max Futterman, I recorded Michael McQueen's lovely southern voice using all these microphones at different distances, and uploaded them to the link below for sharing.

Thanks goes out to Max and da Mangler, as well to Richard H. Topham Jr. and Justin Marinoff for their time and help. Here's the link:

http://mixeli.us/technology/stash-microphone-tryouts/

The 4098 required me to play with it a lot before using it in a critical situation. Looking at the polar pattern was what inspired me to do that. Jerry's now playing with it in non-critical moments to learn its limits/parameters of goodness. It's just kinda amazing and shines well at 3'.

I generally use the CUB when i need to grab a few people at a table - such as a court room.

There have been several time when I walk into a court room and deploy one CUB on the defense table one on the prosecutor table and a mic on the judges bench and I'm good to go in a few minutes. So what I am curious is off axis response of the 4098 vs the cub. It didn't look like you did any off axis tests or did you?

I generally use the CUB when i need to grab a few people at a table - such as a court room.

There have been several time when I walk into a court room and deploy one CUB on the defense table one on the prosecutor table and a mic on the judges bench and I'm good to go in a few minutes. So what I am curious is off axis response of the 4098 vs the cub. It didn't look like you did any off axis tests or did you?

Not on the recordings I posted unfortunately. The 4098 was pretty forgiving despite its narrow pattern while going off axis (similar to how the DPA 4017b behaves), so if the speaker turns his or her head, is still sounds pretty good.

I'll do some additional recordings with the DPA 4098 under other scenarios, also testing the off axis response, to help illustrate what I mean.

However, for table setups like what you describe, the CUB-01 still is a better choice IMO. Which is why I still keep two handy just in case.

Edited by josefrias

Sorry gang late to the party here. I did not realize this thread had started. I now own 6 of the DPA 4098. 4 of the goosenecks and 2 longer ones for podium mics or a long reach. I have since the beginning of this year using them in cars and as plant mics. I sold 2 of my Cubs. The 4098 sounds outstanding and the reach is incredible. I find it very hard to use a Cub again unless I have no other options. I had Trew Atlanta build several 10ft TA5 to TA5 so if I want to remote the transmitter from the 4098 I can. Also I have the XLR adapter to be able to hardwire. This mic has changed my workflow. I also have used the longer ones for a podium mic in several scenes and press conference scenes.

I have found a new tool that I am actually excited about.. the 4098 works incredibly well.

Bubble Bee and someone else is working on a wind cover that is stronger than foam cover that comes with it.

Whit

Edited by Whit Norris
spelling

Are you still talking about microphones or did the conversation suddenly take a turn?

panty hose are good to keep the wind off my mics and my legs... So it's a bonus ... There should work for wind if anyone is looking...

http://www.rycote.com/products/lavalier-solutions/lavalier-windjammer/dpa-4099-mini-windjammer/

http://www.rycote.com/products/lavalier-solutions/lavalier-windjammer/black-lavalier-windjammer/

• 3 months later...

That CUB has to be used in conjunction with a hard surface....  If you are planting that mic on a fabric visor, it won't sound good... I always use 3" plastic discs..(the ones people use to mount GPS units to... you know, the stickum on one side and the suction cup sticks to it..)  Even when on a clamp or flex.... always with the disc...

When used with the discs, they sound SO much better....  When placed on the fabric or mounted without a hard surface, the performance is lacking...  Try it...

care to share pictures?

Hi Everyone,

Just reading through this, love how we tend to take things and use them to great affect for purposes outside of their design. As we happen to carry the 4099 for our symphony/stage business we've been using those as plant mics and car rigs for a couple years now.  I like it for car rigs cause the little boom lets it pop out from under the visor pretty nicely, also the fact that it looks like a tiny boom entertains me when using it for this purpose. Also we've used the instrument mounts to attach them to a couple different objects, though good old tape works well too.

Has anyone played at all though comparing the 4099 to the 4098 for this purpose though, haven't specifically played with the 4098 myself so just didn't know?

Thanks

Edited by Nick Jabour

• 4 weeks later...

got a 4098 + adapter Microdot to lemo (Zaxcom). Mic sounds fine but the adapter got way too much "play" inside the TRX connector. A little movement and the mic rattles like hell. Could it be a dodgy adapter? Tried different TRXs to no avail. All my lavs (4063) with direct lemo connector are sitting nice and secure inside the TRX´s.

It is 57.

Its just with all my TRX900aa (silver body). 

Didnt tested EVERY TRX I have and missed the LA which has more "flesh" on the connector. Enough for the adapter to fit and sit tight. 

Might look for thinner nuts on the older TRXs.

Mic sounds good btw! Seems to work just fine with the 3.3V from Zaxcons TRX. 

more testing: the bottom part of the 4098 makes some sqeaking noise when I move the TRX. If mounted in a moving car I would expect at least that amount of movement.

edit: could be the connector still moves just a little actually?!

edit2: it´s the connector of the TRX900LA itself! Moves against the housing. Maybe needs some tightening. Feels tight though.

Have a listen:

DPA4098+adapter57onTRX900LA sqeaking.mp3

Edited by Matthias Richter
testing as I report