DPA 4098 - first impressions

Jeff Wexler

48 minutes ago, Tony Johnson said:

What is the best length for the 4098 in the visors of a car? Is the 15cm ok? I won't have a chance to try before I buy and want the most useful arm length.

Any thoughts?

Tony

I have the 15cm ones, and they work fine. Here's a picture for reference:

56a52d690de52_TRXLA2DPA4098.thumb.jpg.c8

Great picture, Jose! It is simply an incredibly elegant solution that sounds great! After Rado's question I am reminded of the times when I have done "visor mounts" in the past and an actor right in the middle of the shot decides to pull the visor down (checking their makeup and hair?).

Also, the longer version (30cm) has just two bendy elements, plus a firm middle section, so it can be more difficult to hide in a visor type scenario. On the other hand, it can be more useful in a car when you have to mount below the dashboard, and I've used it in plain sight on a dais, which worked really well - of course, that's what it's made for

3 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

It actually just fits in there nicely. There was some topstick just in case, but since the visor would actually be up, I don't think it was necessary.

Putting topstick on the cars I am working with will 86 me. (:

2 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Great picture, Jose! It is simply an incredibly elegant solution that sounds great! After Rado's question I am reminded of the times when I have done "visor mounts" in the past and an actor right in the middle of the shot decides to pull the visor down (checking their makeup and hair?).

I am with you Jeff. Safety is the number one issue when driving. I will only clip the trx900lth if the visor is extremely sturdy.

5 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

Putting topstick on the cars I am working with will 86 me. (:

I am with you Jeff. Safety is the number one issue when driving. I will only clip the trx900lth if the visor is extremely sturdy.

I get that. Just stating in this particular situation it was pretty secure on its own. I don't think it would apply for every visor.

8 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

I have the 15cm ones, and they work fine. Here's a picture for reference

Thanks Jose thats excellent. I can see too how the 30cm would be handy but will go with the 15cm to start. I see DPA have another option the 4018F with interchangeable goose neck but i am not sure if they are a good option instead, the capsules look a lot bigger.

Tony

17 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

I can't think of a single actor who hasn't pulled the mirror down.

I always rig it up knowing they'll do it, even when shown the mic when entering the vehicle! Haha! They just can't help themselves :-)

29 minutes ago, Matthias Richter said:

since I'm so used to CCM41 for car dialog I find it hard to accept anything less. Have bought 2 4098 and use them for the quick and ok solution. But I still go for the CCM41 whenever possible.  Especially when we do car dialog with green screen.  

In the same fashion, I like the DPA 4018 hyper card capsule with a MMP-E active cable Pre-amp, which makes for a very low profile mic and easy to stash as well. It has a "fuller" sound vs the 4098.

However, for car rigs on the reality work I do, where we have to be quick, a 4098 with a transmitter makes for a very quick and efficient solution; much better than the omni goose and the cub in my opinion, sounds pretty damn good to my ears too.

6 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

In the same fashion, I like the DPA 4018 hyper card capsule with a MMP-E active cable Pre-amp, which makes for a very low profile mic and easy to stash as well. It has a "fuller" sound vs the 4098.

Hi Jose have you used the 4018 into a TRX900? if so how did you find it?

Tony

27 minutes ago, roundbadge said:

I asked Pedro From DPA if they could do an omni version..basically shortening the tube and making the mic easier to place..I'll take two please.

I'd prefer a cardioid version, which I've also inquired to Chris Spahr (the Pedro Rocha of the East). He said he would pass on the request.

Played with one at Trew Toronto today. Found it sounded really good but it is extremely sensitive to manipulation. I mean the entire mic ( body, gooseneck and element ) is extremely microphonic. Can't imagine using it without some sort of suspension. Simply mounting it to a sun visor, I would think you would get some serious handling noise when driving the car on the road. Anybody feeling the same way? Maybe there is something I am missing here? Some accessories or special trick to use it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, pvanstry said:

Played with one at Trew Toronto today. Found it sounded really good but it is extremely sensitive to manipulation. I mean the entire mic ( body, gooseneck and element ) is extremely microphonic. Can't imagine using it without some sort of suspension. Simply mounting it to a sun visor, I would think you would get some serious handling noise when driving the car on the road. Anybody feeling the same way? Maybe there is something I am missing here? Some accessories or special trick to use it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No noise from visor mount IME.

Certainly susceptible to table bumps when mounted on a table tho.