Jeff Wexler

DPA 4098 - first impressions

109 posts in this topic

What is the best length for the 4098 in the visors of a car? Is the 15cm ok? I won't have a chance to try before I buy and want the most useful arm length.

Any thoughts?

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tony Johnson said:

What is the best length for the 4098 in the visors of a car? Is the 15cm ok? I won't have a chance to try before I buy and want the most useful arm length.

Any thoughts?

Tony

I have the 15cm ones, and they work fine. Here's a picture for reference:

56a52d690de52_TRXLA2DPA4098.thumb.jpg.c8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jose Frias said:

I have the 15cm ones, and they work fine. Here's a picture for reference:

56a52d690de52_TRXLA2DPA4098.thumb.jpg.c8

how is the TX attached?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

how is the TX attached?

It actually just fits in there nicely. There was some topstick just in case, but since the visor would actually be up, I don't think it was necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great picture, Jose! It is simply an incredibly elegant solution that sounds great! After Rado's question I am reminded of the times when I have done "visor mounts" in the past and an actor right in the middle of the shot decides to pull the visor down (checking their makeup and hair?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've/we've done it like Jose did 3 or 4 times. Works well. I also bought some extension cables to move the transmitters further away. I'd suggest at least one when you can afford it. Very useful.

CrewC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, the longer version (30cm) has just two bendy elements, plus a firm middle section, so it can be more difficult to hide in a visor type scenario. On the other hand, it can be more useful in a car when you have to mount below the dashboard, and I've used it in plain sight on a dais, which worked really well - of course, that's what it's made for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

It actually just fits in there nicely. There was some topstick just in case, but since the visor would actually be up, I don't think it was necessary.

Putting topstick on the cars I am working with will 86 me. (:

2 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Great picture, Jose! It is simply an incredibly elegant solution that sounds great! After Rado's question I am reminded of the times when I have done "visor mounts" in the past and an actor right in the middle of the shot decides to pull the visor down (checking their makeup and hair?).

I am with you Jeff. Safety is the number one issue when driving. I will only clip the trx900lth if the visor is extremely sturdy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

Putting topstick on the cars I am working with will 86 me. (:

I am with you Jeff. Safety is the number one issue when driving. I will only clip the trx900lth if the visor is extremely sturdy.

I get that. Just stating in this particular situation it was pretty secure on its own. I don't think it would apply for every visor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

I have the 15cm ones, and they work fine. Here's a picture for reference

Thanks Jose thats excellent. I can see too how the 30cm would be handy but will go with the 15cm to start. I see DPA have another option the 4018F with interchangeable goose neck but i am not sure if they are a good option instead, the capsules look a lot bigger.

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Great picture, Jose! It is simply an incredibly elegant solution that sounds great! After Rado's question I am reminded of the times when I have done "visor mounts" in the past and an actor right in the middle of the shot decides to pull the visor down (checking their makeup and hair?).

I can't think of a single actor who hasn't pulled the mirror down.

I always rig it up knowing they'll do it, even when shown the mic when entering the vehicle! Haha! They just can't help themselves :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

since I'm so used to CCM41 for car dialog I find it hard to accept anything less. Have bought 2 4098 and use them for the quick and ok solution. But I still go for the CCM41 whenever possible.  Especially when we do car dialog with green screen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Matthias Richter said:

since I'm so used to CCM41 for car dialog I find it hard to accept anything less. Have bought 2 4098 and use them for the quick and ok solution. But I still go for the CCM41 whenever possible.  Especially when we do car dialog with green screen.  

In the same fashion, I like the DPA 4018 hyper card capsule with a MMP-E active cable Pre-amp, which makes for a very low profile mic and easy to stash as well. It has a "fuller" sound vs the 4098.

However, for car rigs on the reality work I do, where we have to be quick, a 4098 with a transmitter makes for a very quick and efficient solution; much better than the omni goose and the cub in my opinion, sounds pretty damn good to my ears too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to consider about car rigs is dual TX. That saves on setup time. The downside is XR modulation does not work for stereo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

In the same fashion, I like the DPA 4018 hyper card capsule with a MMP-E active cable Pre-amp, which makes for a very low profile mic and easy to stash as well. It has a "fuller" sound vs the 4098.

 

Hi Jose have you used the 4018 into a TRX900? if so how did you find it?

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tony Johnson said:

Hi Jose have you used the 4018 into a TRX900? if so how did you find it?

Tony

4018 into TRX742, which provides phantom power, not TRX900/LA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jose yes I see that now. They are also expensive and I would probably use a CMC641 instead. So i guess for me the 4098 provides a quick and reasonable solution at a reasonable cost.

Thanks

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Jose, we use the DPA 4018's with the side exit cable (MMP-ES), they sound fantastic & easy to rig - I've had 2 cables fail on me though, they're not contructed with fast paced filming in mind, need to be more robust imho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked Pedro From DPA if they could do an omni version..basically shortening the tube and making the mic easier to place..I'll take two please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, roundbadge said:

I asked Pedro From DPA if they could do an omni version..basically shortening the tube and making the mic easier to place..I'll take two please.

I'd prefer a cardioid version, which I've also inquired to Chris Spahr (the Pedro Rocha of the East). He said he would pass on the request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

I'd prefer a cardioid version, which I've also inquired to Chris Spahr (the Pedro Rocha of the East). He said he would pass on the request.

I'd be happy with a "wide" cardioid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played with one at Trew Toronto today. Found it sounded really good but it is extremely sensitive to manipulation. I mean the entire mic ( body, gooseneck and element ) is extremely microphonic. Can't imagine using it without some sort of suspension. Simply mounting it to a sun visor, I would think you would get some serious handling noise when driving the car on the road. Anybody feeling the same way? Maybe there is something I am missing here? Some accessories or special trick to use it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pvanstry said:

Played with one at Trew Toronto today. Found it sounded really good but it is extremely sensitive to manipulation. I mean the entire mic ( body, gooseneck and element ) is extremely microphonic. Can't imagine using it without some sort of suspension. Simply mounting it to a sun visor, I would think you would get some serious handling noise when driving the car on the road. Anybody feeling the same way? Maybe there is something I am missing here? Some accessories or special trick to use it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No noise from visor mount IME.

Certainly susceptible to table bumps when mounted on a table tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now