Jeff Wexler

DPA 4098 - first impressions

108 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wandering Ear said:

I now put small hair rubber bands on the bottom of the foam windscreen to hold them on since they fall off so easily.  I also keep small pieces of 1/4" neoprene to isolate a plant mic/TX from vibration.  It's been working well for me.

Nice, thanks for the tips....

I wish DPA would make a flat response version of the 4080.  It has hi sensitivity @ 20mV/Pa, a cardioid pickup pattern, and an acoustically well-isolated clip mount.  Unfortunately, the 4080 has a severe low end rolloff.  It's designed as a chest-worn lav, and the rolloff is designed to compensate for the proximity effect that close micing gives with a cardioid. 

I find these more flexible in mounting and positioning than the 4098, better isolated, and the clip is easier to hide than an attached gooseneck.

I would specify a cardioid over the supercardioid as they typically have less of a rear lobe (at speed, car roofs can transmit a lot of wind roar)  and a bit wider pickup pattern. 

John, have you had any issues with the small rubber suspension that holds the 4080?  I demo'd some 4099's hoping the suspension would help with vibration noise, but the thin rubber that suspends the mic felt so flimsy to me I didn't trust it would hold up.  I find the 4098's to be fragile enough, I was worried the 4099 wouldn't handle any real production work.  I'm assuming the 4080 suspension is the same as the 4099.

The 4080 suspension is a bit different from the one on a 4099.  I haven't had any issues with either.  These mics being as tiny as they are, you definitely want to handle with care. The wire mesh interference tube is one of the more fragile parts, but that's also true of the 4098.

The 4080 is suspended inside the foam windscreen, which, in turn, is isolated by the thin rubber struts.  The foam windscreens -- available in packs of five -- are easily replaceable. 

The 4080 clip assembly allows the mic to swivel also.

Thanks for the insights.  I agree about the wire mesh interference tube.  I'm always nervous they will get crushed.

If enough of us send requests to DPA to make a flat response version of the 4080, it might happen.  IMO, it would be an even more flexible tool for location sound than the 4098.

If enough of us send requests to DPA to make a flat response version of the 4080, it might happen.  IMO, it would be an even more flexible tool for location sound than the 4098.

Rado should do it. He got them to design a whole new mic