Jeff Wexler

DPA 4098 - first impressions

John, your ears regarding the 4080 are correct. I've edited my post above to be more clear. There are two things that account for the difference between what you are hearing with the standard 4080 lavelier and what you will hear with the UniFlex that uses the 4080 head: 1) The miniature suspension on the stock 4080 has a shroud that not only holds the mic and windscreen in place, it also tailors the frequency response a bit. The microphone is removed from the suspension before going into the UniFlex, so it is no longer a factor. 2) The "snoot" at the end of the UniFlex mount reduces the exposed area of the microscopic ports below the base of the 4080 (just a bit, not fully), recovering low frequency response in the process. While this also slightly reduces directionality, the end result is a fuller sound with a directional pattern ideal for car plant situations.

Glen,

I would love love to hear a demo of the new uniflex 4080 vs 4098 vs CUB or Schoeps in a car setting. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one. Maybe there is a possibility of a blog post on trew audio?

I really like the idea of something more forgiving than the 4098 with head turns and placement. And as everyone else has stated the 4098 really only shines when placed close to talent and pointed well on axis. That is my experience. It has worked for me in instances but definitely has its limits. 

Here's the thing. Sometimes a CUB sounds great (rarely, in my opinion). Sometimes a lav on the actor is the only way to go. I sometimes use my DPA 4011C in the center below, or an MKH50. Lavs are almost always in the visors. Every car sounds different. I bet these new Trew things are awesome a lot of the time. I didn't like the omni goose at all, but it was "fine". I expect the uniflex 4080 will be superior. But any type of shoot-out comparison really doesn't mean much. I am excited by this product, and if I have some heavy driving stuff coming up, I will likely buy 2.

The audio quality is not the main thing that concerns or excites me about the new 4080 gooseneck. I already have two 4098's and I think they are great mics that have far exceeded my expectations. For me the desire to add some 4080 gooseneck's is do to the smaller tube and what looks like a more mouldable gooseneck. The more flexibility for mounting the better. That and with car stuff I find you often need more then one plant mic per character, especially if you have some in the back and front seat. Even with sim travel multi cam shoots will find a why to bone us and we need to be quickly adaptable.

Pictured here is the production version of the UniFlex with DPA-4080 and MicroDot connectors. We had to go with the same diameter gooseneck as the 4098 to accept the MicroDot connector. However, the UniFlex tube is more flexible than the 4098, and holds it's position well. Regarding the MicroDot connector, I've gained appreciation for them. Although they are tiny, when assembled properly, they are very robust. Compared to a lavaliere, they are even more robust when inside the gooseneck, because there is no strain on the cable. The only drawback is the added cost of the required adaptor for use with different transmitter types (adapting to TA-5 or Lemo-3, typically). For TA-5 only users, a TA-5 version is available.

UniFlex DUAL CROP.jpg

I'm traveling with the first run of 10 pieces with me for the Trew Audio events this weekend in Los Angels (Saturday) and Atlanta (Sunday). 30 more are scheduled to be available next week, and continually thereafter.