On Prepping

Jan McL

Seems it would go best vertically, with the antenna sticking out of the top 'closed' area.

For typical ankle placement, Rachel is correct. I say "closed" to indicate that there is no formal closure, but that the elasticity of the bandage is sufficient if there is enough fabric to effectively "close" the top so TRX doesn't pop out.

My thinking is for thigh, might make a hole in the bottom of the 'U' through which the antenna may be threaded for downward orientation.

Can you restate the question now bolded? Don't quite understand.

The "D" seems to be good for a regular-sized male ankle. Got larger sizes to test for thigh use.

I encourage the actor to put it on while getting dressed and provide wardrobe with a supply toward that end, along with letting AD team know soonest that the actor will be wired so the message will get to wardrobe before dressing ensues since the shoe is removed in the process.

It's put on the appendage in a 'U' shape that forms a pocket into which the transmitter is inserted. The 'U' long enough to have enough fabric to "close" at the top.

Jan I was questioning how you used the bandage. From your description it sounds as though you pull a piece say about nine inches long onto the lower leg above the ankle then fold the bottom up over the tx so that it is between two layers of the bandage.

Great stuff.  I wonder why they make them in beige, "skin" (perhaps "Caucasian" would be a better term) and blue but specifically not black?  It seems like black would be more useful?

p

It's a compression bandage and also used to hold dressings securely on particularly-placed wounds that would otherwise be difficult to secure I think.

For the items to be made in various colors and perhaps bound on the ends, it would require someone to follow through with the manufacturer and do a deal. Not particularly of interest to me to administrate. Might finance such an endeavor tho. Ha.

Go back and see the photograph that shows two cut pieces of the material.

The piece on the left is 10-12" long. The piece on the right has been folded in on itself. It's that 2nd piece the actor draws up their leg. Once in place, you can put the transmitter in the faux pocket... Done.

Very intrigued by this thread.

I'm loving Neopax for talent comfort (insulates from high-heat LT and SMQv)... plus ease of use. I've been eyeing the "wireless mic belt" pouches available at B&H or direct... because I get better range and more reliable RF if antenna can stay off skin... I'm convinced that direct contact with sweaty skin is grounding out the RF... so I'm imagining some sort of insulation to prevent that.

Interesting reading here. Thank you.

Edited by MattinSTL

Very intrigued by this thread.

I'm loving Neopax for talent comfort (insulates from high-heat LT and SMQv)... plus ease of use. I've been eyeing the "wireless mic belt" pouches available at B&H or direct... because I get better range and more reliable RF if antenna can stay off skin... I'm convinced that direct contact with sweaty skin is grounding out the RF... so I'm imagining some sort of insulation to prevent that.

Interesting reading here. Thank you.

Radio Frequencies have a harder time getting through salt water. I'm not sure if skin is grounding out the RF, but getting the antenna off of the closest body of salt water does help. 

Yes, according to reliable sources  (Larry, I think), up to about 70% of RF power is lost when the antenna is in direct contact with the skin.

I've been using the 'Ace' type wrap bandage for years, which holds the transmitter secure and also isolates from the wearer from heat. Not as low profile as the Tubigrip though...Thanks for the tip Jan!

• 3 weeks later...

Fabulous news, Matthias. Size definitely matters, LOL. I've now 4 or 5 sizes on hand for R&D; going forward they will be replaced as expendables.

I have ordered the Tubigrip (size F) too. Actress (and costume) prefered it over the NP / Kortwich bandage. She felt relieved though when she finally could take it off. It does have some good preasure. Will order one size larger (G) to see if it still hold the TX.