Nomad Mirroring Failure

cory

I know that this issue or a similar issue has come up on the Zax forums re: Maxx and a "temp"/"voodoo solution includes doing a short roll before doing longer ones, but I'm hoping some folks here might have a way to fix this permanently.

Good friend of mine recently almost got in a LOT of heat from production when he turned over a mirror card-- "continuous mirroring" had been selected-- that didn't have most of the files on it. Luckily the MARF primary card was still working-- but it still created an unwanted ruckus.

He recently sent me the following email:

"Just a heads up for nomad users...this is the fourth time (second this month) that the nomad has mirrored improperly for me, leaving me with tiny mirror files that aren't reflective of what I recorded to the primary.  I've looked into it, and it seems that when you do a long first take (especially when it has to hop over to another file when reaching 2GB) that the mirror card can get confused and blow it.  "

I was talking about it with some folks and a different friend had the same problem last week.

Anyone else experiencing the problem/know of a permanent fix? Nomad 10 with the latest firmware...

Hey Cory, 

There are several factors in play here, but I would not consider that "normal" operation for a Nomad. While similar issues can/have happened, mirroring should continue work as your friend is expecting it to. Here's a short list of things to check below starting with what Chris suggested and checking the software. 

Software Version against known bugs

Corrupted media? (be sure they are formatting the mirror card in the machine regularly)

Processor Speed

Does mirror card work under "normal" conditions

It may take longer but they could change the mirror mode to ON vs Continuous. (with long takes it can tax the processor to do both cards at once, though many people, including myself, do this all the time with no issue.)

As Glenn said definitely give them a call and your friend will likely be back up and running happy again in no time. 

This happens to me on my Maxx v 2.16. 

If it rolls over into another take it says it's mirroring but the big 2Gb file vanishes from the mirror folder. They can be pulled from the MARF. Hope this gets fixed soon so I can go back to just handing over WAV files.

This happens to me on my Maxx v 2.16. 

If it rolls over into another take it says it's mirroring but the big 2Gb file vanishes from the mirror folder. They can be pulled from the MARF. Hope this gets fixed soon so I can go back to just handing over WAV files.

This is an intermittent bug that Zaxcom is aware of and Howy has been trying to resolve but he is having isues duplicating it. I have posted this here before - if this happens to you what you need to do is save your settings and email them to Zaxcom. The more information that Howy has about what settings is causing this the quicker this can be resolved.

In general by ignoring this, or any other issue, without contacting Zaxcom directly will not fix the issue and can only delay getting it resolved. Because the sooner Zaxcom is aware or a bug the quicker it can get fixed - sometimes within a few hours.

Edited by Jack Norflus
Spelling issue

Nomad version 7.33 has a change in the mirror timing which I think should solve the problem. I have spent all day letting Nomad fill up CF cards and have not seen mirroring fail yet ( I am now up to v7.37).  I am going to bring the same changes into the Maxx's mirroring software and should have some Beta releases on Tuesday (nomad 7.37 and Maxx 2.22).  

Nomad version 7.33 has a change in the mirror timing which I think should solve the problem. I have spent all day letting Nomad fill up CF cards and have not seen mirroring fail yet ( I am now up to v7.37).  I am going to bring the same changes into the Maxx's mirroring software and should have some Beta releases on Tuesday (nomad 7.37 and Maxx 2.22).  

Fantastic! I will pass this on! Thanks for being so responsive!

I had a similar issue with incomplete mirroring that was happening pretty consistently on my Nomad 10 running 7.27. Always rescued by MARF primary cards, but certainly a hassle (and intially pretty troubling before I had a workaround). Happened 3 days in a row, so I chatted with Howy and he recommended trying to remirror with the original file naming convention (I had previously been using scene and take file name option). This resolved the issue for me, hasn't happened since. Maybe that is worth trying, if problems persist for anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, beware, aware, of anytime your Nomad reaches the maximum 2GB segment size during record and automatically starts a new segment. Know to look for incomplete mirroring. I had hoped that this was a, fixed, software problem. I experienced two occurrences of this in previous firmware versions. The 2GB hiccup has not occurred  on my current version, 7.26 Nomad 12, when I've twice had that 2GB roll over to next segment. Yet I see, from Jason's post, that it has with 7.27 on a Nomad 10. Apparently this occurs with some variable in the field that hasn't been recreated on the Zaxcom test bench. As Jack suggested, help the shop out and note all settings and maybe even circumstances under which this happens. 

I've had some nasty calls as well from missing files. I always get them their stuff quickly, but it is still not cool. Renaming files that auto-segment has been my fix. Then re-mirror. I've been using the last "release" version for those that are warning about the perils of Beta. Little difference in Beta and non these days, or so it seems.

I installed the latest "beta" version, hoping to have a smoother day tomorrow.