Another stand thread...

Jeremiah Sheets

I posted this on Facebook, as well. Doesn't hurt to ask in a couple places.

I generally use C-stands on location when supplied by the Grip department, but want to pick up my own stand. I'm not terribly interested in buying a C-stand because I don't care for the way they fold for travel. I prefer a traditional folding stand. For light travel I will probably pick up a MERF, since it collapses to 20" to fit in a suitcase, but is not sturdy enough for local jobs.

I'm looking at two tube-legged light stands and am seeking feedback from users.
I like the Matthews stand because of the brake system used to lock each section. I find I have much more confidence in them.

I've narrowed it down (possibly) to either the Medium Duty Aluminum Kit Stand, or the Maxi Kit Steel Stand.

Medium Duty Aluminum Stand benefits:
 - Lighter weight for travel
 - Slightly smaller footprint when collapsed
 - Slightly lower cost

Maxi Steel Stand benefits:
 - Heavier weight for added stability
 - Slightly wider leg footprint for slightly added stability

Both accept casters, which I like. The maximum height difference isn't a concern, since the shorter of the two still reaches 7.7'.

Ultimately, I'm looking for comparisons from people who might have used them, or if someone is seeing something I'm missing. Stability seems to be the obvious benefit, but with a sandbag straddling the bottom of each, maybe the difference won't be noticeable.

Sorry about the B&H links. I will NOT be buying from them, but they do have good descriptions, photos, and spec pages.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33465-REG/Matthews_B389788_Medium_Duty_Black_Kit.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/99162-REG/Matthews_387485_Maxi_Kit_Steel_Stand.html

Thanks for feedback!

We use the Manfrotto Nano stand. It folds up easily into a knapsack or suitcase.  We use it for field recording -- even double-ORTF QUAD -- and to hold a boommate on set (with a Galaxy Saddle bag).

http://www.manfrotto.us/black-alu-nano-stand-64-5-sections-4-risers

With the Galaxy saddle bag, you can have it empty and fill it with water at the set (if that's available).  This makes it a really light weight option.

Edited by minister

I also own a manfrotto nano but if out doors my experience is that it can be a bit too 'lively' in the breeze... especially if raised up a bit with a zep on top. I traveled a lot with one for stereo & dms sound gathering - love the size & weight & perfect for a stealth kit. Often it was perfect, but then i burned myself once when doing a surround recording & the wind picked up at the best/worst moment...  so while this anecdote may be entirely moot for your needs, its nowhere near as stiff as the air cushion, here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609055-REG/Manfrotto_1051BAC_1051BAC_Alu_Mini_Air.html

The Matthews kit stands are ok. I have a pair of the mediums and one of the bigger size. They're great for travel but be sure to locktite the set screws at the top of each section and pack an allen key with them. The screws will vibrate loose during travel and caution is required when tightening them. It's easy to bend the tubes out of round at the top and that can make adjusting the height difficult. 

Best regards,

Jim

• 5 months later...

@Jeremiah Sheets I'm looking to make a similar purchase. Something solid enough to boom a standing interview, but light enough to carry around town. 

What did you end up with? I'm looking at the 1051BAC (mini compact), 1052BAC (compact) and the bigger 1005BAC.  Leaning toward the two larger stands for added stability.

cheers

Adam

Jeremiah Sheets---I know you said you do not want C-stands, but have you considered turtle base C-stands?  It seemed like your concert was how the stands legs fold up for transport.  I agree, I hate how the C-stand legs seem to get tangled up with other stuff, so I bought turtle base stands for my local needs.  They make for a very sturdy mic stand.  I have used them plenty for film/ video production, but they have also found use for live sound/ music events.  I just used one for mic placement on a grand piano, sand bag on the C-stand base... good stuff.

I am having the same thoughts as well at the moment.

So far I always borrow from light crew and they always use Avenger, which I think it works perfect. Its not the lightest but its really sturdy so I was planning to get an Avenger Baby Alu 35. 3m up and 3m across with my Panamic should be enough for most situations. 

I have two stands now. I started with the Matthews Medium Duty Maxi light stand. It is decent, but sort of a compromise in both directions.
Since then I picked up the Matthews MERF reversible and absolutely love it for transport. It breaks down to 20", gets up to nearly 7', and with a 5lb Boa Bag hanging at the bottom it's pretty sturdy. As long as I don't need to extend more than about 9' on the boom, it works great.

I'll probably sell the Maxi and get something more heavy duty to keep in the car, but I think probably 75-80% of my jobs can be handled by the MERF which fits nicely in my Peli. Maybe I'll end up with a C-Stand after all. It can just live in the trunk of my car.

Thought I would mention: I tested these three light stands in store this week for a boom holder (1051BAC (mini compact), 1052BAC (compact) and the ranker 1005BAC) and I took home the biggest of them (1005BAC). 

It's really a "how hot does Goldilocks like her porridge" situation; The 1051 was an awesome travel size, but flimsy when raised to 6-7 feet, needing a sandbag. The 1005 Ranker (and 1004 Master) were super solid at the same height, and could totally do the job without a sandbag, but they wont fit in your road case. They will however strap nicely over the shoulder or go in a light stand bag. Maybe in a bag with a boom? The 1052 was just somewhere in the middle. 

I picked the 1005BAC because I preferred the stability over compactness.  I don't do a lot of air travel. So when I'm on a set without a spare c-stand this will be great.

In any case, the Manfrotto air cushioning is amazing and all three stands were very nicely built. The flat packing feature is very nice. Your camera crew are going to be jealous. Maybe I'll get two more and rent them!

A