Touch Screens

I'm starting to research touch screens for a possible Mac Mini / Metacorder setup.  My biggest concern at the moment is the resolution of these touchscreens (I've been looking at Xenarc and Lilliput), even the larger Xenarc apparrently only support 640 x 480.  Metacorder is designed for 1024 x 768, which completely fills the screen of my 12" laptop (at 800 x 640 MC goes off the screen and you can't use it).  This Lilliput (http://www.digitalww.com/VGA_TM_810VGT.htm) says it supports that 1024 x 768, but it appears to be 800 x 600 natively. Would my screen be readable/useable?  Is anyone here using a setup like this?

Thanks,

Brandon

I have the 10" Xenarc monitor with the intention of using it on the cart for some sort of Mac based recording setup. I have investigated this problem of native resolution with a few of the Macs I own including a 12" AL PowerBoook. The biggest problem is, as you point out, what the native resolution of the LCD is. All LCDs will scale to resolutions that are NOT the native resolution but there is always a penalty in clarity and sharpness of the images and text on the screen. I was able to tweak the Display preferences on the PowerBook and the few that exist for the monitor (things like "wide" "extended", "normal"), to produce an acceptable display on the Xenarc. This was in an effort to use BoomRecorder which is not configured in the same way Metacorder is (and in fact, Take V. the developer, provided a display screen that woiuld be a better match in terms of resolution with nothing cut off, for Billy Sarokin, a mixer in New York). I don't believe Gallery Software will change the resolution or layout of Metacorder, so you are going to have to mess around and tweak every setting you can find, and then decide if it is acceptable or not.

I did locate a utility for the Mac that is specifically designed to allow all sorts of tweaking of the display settings that could provide more flexibility for those who wish to use the relatively small (10") 16 : 9 LCD computer screens like the Xenarc. I will try and locate this software (I downloaded it but have not played with it) and I will post a link when I locate it (stored on some other computer in my shop).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Good info on resolution:

http://www.macvroom.com/node/36/

Excellent, John. That is the very page where I discovered DisplayConfigX utility. You are right, the page is a really good discussion of display resolutions and the problems associated with the smaller monitors.

-  JW

Thanks for all the good info.  Jeff, I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the DisplayConfigX utility.  Perhaps I should just consider a larger montior (non touch) for use with Metacorder.  The touchscreens just seem so ideal in every other sense; 12 volt, small footprint, no need for a mouse on a crowded cart... Well, I'm not ruling it out yet, but I think I'll start to broaden my search.

Brandon