RIP Jerry Weintraub

al mcguire

I had the pleasure of working for Jerry Weintraub on the three "Oceans ..." films Steven Soderbergh directed along with Randy Johnson as our boom op and Larry Blake in post.
Jerry Weintraub was a producer who in his time owned the phrase "larger than life" for he enthusiastically embraced the task of marking out the horizons in his work and life. In getting things done, he knew how and who and if not, he knew who to call to get back to how. It seemed he knew everybody in and out of the business. The list of guests we were tasked for comtek headphones to share a time with Jerry on set was just amazing in it's depth and spoke volumes about this man.
The production became his family. Jerry cared about the crew at our work and cared how we were supported while we were away from home and our families. He always took time to listen to our request and considered them. He and Suzie would make it happen. We had fantastic support on Oceans Eleven with the hotels and the city of Las Vegas because of Jerry fulfilling the vision Steven Soderbergh had for that film. 
He never stopped asking everyone on set "How you doing?" and he knew your name. He cared if you were happy and wanted to make it so.  I get in line with George Clooney, that those of us who worked for him are richer in our lives for the challenges he asked us to live up to, for the humanity and grace he happily shared with us and for the great stories we now carry with us shinning the light on the human condition we all find ourselves working and living in this industry.

If you hear one of those stories from a crew member who was present, then I dare say it will be told in Jerry's unmistakable Brooklyn accent in a bond out of the respect and love we share for him.

Jerry never stopped thanking us for our work on set. I did not work for Jerry on his last couple of shows, but I noticed he did the same in thanking the crew on national television when he won his award for “Behind the Candelabra”.

RIP Jerry

• Edit
  • Watch this page

Edited by Paul Ledford
no need for by line