It's only going to go down hill from here.

I mean, it's not an IDEAL scenario but when I compare footage from my old DVX100b to what my iPhone 6 can do I'm astounded. Something that is essentially the same size as the fold out LCD from that old workhorse can deliver video that is an order of magnitude better for less than an eighth of the price, plus it can edit it and deliver it wirelessly too!

I dunno; I think we're in for a pretty interesting ride. Just gotta figure out how to adapt. 

i'm not too surprised; i think within the next year or two one of the manufacturers will market a good reliable eng/efp style camera with good optics and audio in + monitoring for $1000 or less. battery and record media options etc of course.

I'm, happy to say that with most of the people I work alongside, "good optics" usually falls in the range of from $6,000 to $65,000 per lens -- and they often carry a full set.  Even if it's run-n-gun reality with cheaper cameras, the lenses are often the most expensive part of the package.