sit in on a reading?

Richard Ragon

A number of months ago, I was invited to do a 'sit-in' on the actors reading though their lines on a production meeting right before a shoot.  Fortunately, I was able to get out of this, as I think thats it's a huge waste of my time, and I can't see where it serves any purpose to a "technical position" like sound.

I think that the only thing that might be important is that if they want sound run to the camera, then how I'm going to interface with the camera is about the only thing that I need to know for preproduction meets.  Beyond that, I can't stand to be in these production meets because, 99% of the time, nothing anyone talks about is sound related, unless we are location scouting which is a different story really.

What do you guys think?

-Richard

Man, I know what you mean.  I want to believe that the earlier production brings sound on, the better.  Many of the problems we encounter during the shoot could be avoided by planning ahead.  However, I've only been invited to a production meeting before a shoot on three occasions, and there wasn't much opportunity to advise them.  Locations have not been chosen with my approval, ever.  I have gotten extra furnie-pads ordered in the grip package before.  Generators have always been chosen based on budget and insurance, so they get whatever they get.  I guess the best use of your time during a reading would be to do test recordings?  Of course, you know your gear works, so this would only be a useful exercise if the actors were reading in the exact place they're going to be on the shoot.  The background will never match without the rest of the lights and the crew.  Maybe you could nip dialog overlaps in the bud now... and irritate the director.  You could start memorizing their lines for boom cues!  Nah, my feeling is that it's not a very productive use of your time.  You can meet some of the people you'll be in the same room with later...  I'm reaching here.

one of the most boring situations i have been in. a script reading. i ALWAYS try to wriggle out of it, quoting pressing work to be done on the very project. if i can't get loose, in my kit - toothpicks, gaff tape, Joe's sticky stuff, and adrenaline injections to keep me awake. 

except for meeting with the actors, there's little gain from this whole thing for me. oh, they're gonna rehearse the thing to death anyways on the sets/location.

of course, maybe i will go to a script reading if it has something else - maybe some very good actors, and a tremendous script, etc - may be a good possibility to watch them in action in a different way - like watching proscenium theater in a different mode. but all this is wishful thinking, i am yet to see a script reading that made me want to stay beyond 5 minutes.

-vin

except for meeting with the actors...

-vin

Umm... Exactly.

Although I have never been invited to a read through, I like to take any opportunity to meet with actors and/or other crew before a film starts.  As it has been discussed many times in many subjects, it us "against" them.  Three, two, or even one person on the crew concerned with sound.  Any chance we have to show our enthusiasm for the project (be it genuine or not) will only help when it's time for us to ask for "favors" on set to improve our tracks.

Filmmaking is a collaborative effort, and I welcome any invitation to be part of the process, as boring as it might seem.

Robert

I would welcome EVERY opportunity to sit through a read-through....

These introductions to scripts and talent give me a heads up on deliveries -

especially those unusually quiet or loud moments.

Although the script might well evolve before we shoot, at least the movie sort of "plays out" before me.... 

And I can take notes .... 

On recent productions, the pace was such that it was not uncommon for me to be:

1 - shut OUT of the on-scene rehearsals (the initial one, at least) where some alleged directors seem to think that the presence of anyone (even my boomster) is unnecessary and some odd sort of distraction..... go figure....

("The director needs the room" ???? )

2- told "we will shoot the rehearsal" which is about as stupid and wasteful as can be....

I mean, really, just to make a schedule.... ?  It NEVER works.

Hey, What about getting the scene right, once & for all....

Any chance to get better engaged can only help you out later and in the long run......

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta