Craft services fail

I've been on shoots, from good/bad  to  bizarre .. (not even counting the third-world docus I worked on in the 90's) (hence the pic)

3rd_wlrd_lunch.thumb.png.8574eacec390f1d

Edited by Rick Reineke
addendum> I think this is S. America but... the soda bottles indicate India,,, but what would our Espaniol translater be here w/ Inida "Thunbs Up" soda bottles ????

I've been on shoots, from good/bad  to  bizarre .. (not even counting the third-world docus I worked on in the 90's) (hence the pic)

3rd_wlrd_lunch.thumb.png.8574eacec390f1d

I think that photo is shameful Rick,   You all should have given your food to the poor dog.

He looks like he hasn't eaten in a month..

-----Courtney

The cameraman  didn't eat and fed the dog.. as I recall ..  I was lucky....maybe and/or educated about consuming uncooked  local food/water. I never got sick on any of the Africa ,  S. America C. America. E. Europe , former soviet union docu gigs. It wasn't fun though.. for sure..  but do I have tales to tell.. for instance.. being kidnapped for ransom...

Homey don't play that game no mo'

Edited by Rick Reineke

The worst crafty is the kind that re-serves food that has sat out (in the sun perhaps) and become highly suspect for all sorts of illness possibilities.  Producers need to be like generals in respect to feeding their people, or at least trying to keep them from getting sick.  A sick crew is a pretty unproductive crew.  

p

And a hungry crew is a pretty unproductive crew! 

Mr. Deichen and I were on a feature about 18 months ago where several days, the craft services were so bad about 2/3 of the crew up and left and went for McDonald's/Taco Bell/Subway instead. The producers and director did notice.

One word. England. 

Been here long enough to make that statement a fair comment?

If you're upset with your snacks speak to your line manager, I'd suggest. 

Generalist statements only serve to make you look foolish, as you try and entertain.

Kindest, 

simon

Been here long enough to make that statement a fair comment?

If you're upset with your snacks speak to your line manager, I'd suggest. 

Generalist statements only serve to make you look foolish, as you try and entertain.

Kindest, 

simon

Simon,

I adore it here. Certainly no offense meant. But I think I have been here long enough to know that a hot water urn, sachets of instant coffee, tea bags, and an occasional packet of biscuits is fairly normal. Crews do nothing but talk to me about the miracle of craft services, and wish that they had it. In the US, there's at least one (usually two) people on set whose only job is to supply food and drinks throughout the day, even on the most low budget stuff. 

I'm well adjusted to kind crews, short hours, considerate producers, and all the other great advantages of shooting in the UK, but food on set is is not one of those advantages. 

I believe a fair generalization with a bit of humour is ok from time to time :-)

About a year ago I was helping out on a student film that was shooting from 9PM to 9AM. There were about 20 people on the shoot. The crafty? One family-sized bag of Lays potato chips. Their "dinner" (which was from a cheap Mexican place) was practically inedible because of how poor quality the food was. Easily my worst crafty experience to date.

Producers don't seem to grasp that it's bad enough to pay people low money on little indie shorts and features, but far worse to also not feed them properly. I'll say this: I worked on another similarly-budgeted indie feature before that last one and those producers busted their asses making sure we were at least well-fed 90% of the time. 

Edited by Marc Wielage

Have had quite a few rough craft services, and some equally rough catering

- coleslaw sandwiches everyday for 6 weeks ( except fridays, friday was ( bad ) mac n cheese day ), which quickly turned into going to the closest cafe for lunch.  But the best, I think, amongst many memorable lunches, was a hot 3 course lunch choppered in and served on linen just about where that chopper is in this photoEarnslaw-burn-waterfalls.thumb.jpg.e434c

And a hungry crew is a pretty unproductive crew! 

Mr. Deichen and I were on a feature about 18 months ago where several days, the craft services were so bad about 2/3 of the crew up and left and went for McDonald's/Taco Bell/Subway instead. The producers and director did notice.

The upside to that shoot was I lost five pounds in the first week !

Absolute dog food.

Best