Craft services fail

Can't just blame the crafties. I gain weight when I'm doing design/edit/remix on some indie docy projects, when the deadline is almost as short as the runtime is long. Long days, no movement, snarfed meals even if I'm eating at home. My wife called it "production diet".

I gained 20 lbs. on a 55 day shoot last year that I'm slowly taking back off. The food was good and I ate WAY too much craft services junk food during the day.

If we're confessing to the opposite; I gained 30 pounds last year doing two seasons of Food Paradise (a seemingly endless supply of gourmet hot dogs, deep fried calzone, bbq pork, pizza, spicy hamburgers, hot chicken, sky-high deli sandwiches). We're gearing up to go back out and I am still packing the 30, and I think I'm going to pack some emetics this time around...lol.

best

Edited by atheisticmystic

• 2 weeks later...

Simon,

I adore it here. Certainly no offense meant. But I think I have been here long enough to know that a hot water urn, sachets of instant coffee, tea bags, and an occasional packet of biscuits is fairly normal. Crews do nothing but talk to me about the miracle of craft services, and wish that they had it. In the US, there's at least one (usually two) people on set whose only job is to supply food and drinks throughout the day, even on the most low budget stuff. 

I'm well adjusted to kind crews, short hours, considerate producers, and all the other great advantages of shooting in the UK, but food on set is is not one of those advantages. 

I believe a fair generalization with a bit of humour is ok from time to time :-)

I wholehartedly agree with Robert. It took a trip to Montreal to realise just how good craft services can be.

I work commercials in Los Angeles and even the worst craft services is still pretty great.

All I need to keep me happy is cold bottled water, good coffee and some salty nuts.

A good producer knows that good crafty goes a long way to making for a happy crew.

• 1 month later...

Some of the worst crafty I've experienced was on a local shoot. We were on location out in the woods and it was at least 95 degrees out. For some reason, whomever was in charge of crafty that day thought it was a good idea to only have sodas on set. They didn't even think hard enough to bring bottled water and dehydrated most of the crew by the end of the day.