Help renting an downtown LA warehouse type space

Philip Perkins

From my experience looking for office space up in the Bay Area, there are companies that own and manage a lot of commercial real-estate in an area. (you see the same vacancy signage boards everywhere).  Those companies have their own sales team, so just call one of the numbers, and tell them what you're looking for. They also usually have webpages listing their inventory.

I was surprised how many places they were willing to show us to find something in their inventory that fit. (and somewhat bittersweet, because that same company had purchased the building we were in previously and told us to get out in 30 days)

"Shameless Plug"

Aside from being a sound person (secondary income) I'm a licensed Real Estate Broker/Mortgage Lender (primary income). I have access to residential and commercial listings in all of California. 

If this is for any length of time (year lease+) then the first step is to see what your daughter/friend's income qualifies them for, assuming that their venture will be financed. Once their debt ratios/max loan amount is determined then that info, along with their search criteria, is gathered and several property matches are found. Then, they are taken to each property so they can decide which is best. A contract/offer is signed and delivered to the Listing Agent. If the Owner likes what he sees then the lease is fully executed and bada bing they have a place. 

Of course, this is the simplified version of how this goes. There's a lot of paperwork/legal stuff that needs to be settled to make sure your daughter/friends get into a good deal. 

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. 

There's ShareMySpace, which is sort of an Airbnb for industrial/work/meeting/practice spaces. They have an LA presence. I've heard of people using it in other markets, but haven't used it myself.

https://www.sharemyspace.com

A search on "Los Angeles" and "Rehearsal" gets a bunch of results (and an URL too long to paste here). "Dance Class" or something might be more fruitful. Refine by total capacity, size, hourly/daily/weekly/etc...

If nothing else, it might help get a sense of going (or asking) rates...

There are some spots that are mainly used for plays and such, but are available to rent out during the day and evenings not booked for troops like your daughters, if they arent interested in actually renting a location, just using one form time to time, likely for a lesser charge. Kinetic Theory comes to mind.