My Custom Sound and Follow Cart

ryanpeds

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be painting with a special paint called hammerite. Its a very tough paint coating.

I'll check that out... There is a very busy DIT here that built a cart out of plywood and coated it with Rhino Seal or Rhino Coat -- I think that's what it is called.   It is used, normally, for pickup truck beds!  The cart is four years old, and is a customized, rock solid fortress.

MF

• 11 months later...

I started building a new playback cart. Hope to have it done in the next couple of weeks. I'm really liking the 80/20 profiles. It's nice to be able to move pieces around. Although it's not cheap. 

The left side will be 19" rack mount and the right will have my digital mixer  

I've been trying to upload pictures of the other completed carts but for some reason I am having trouble uploading them. 

image.jpeg

I was finally able to get the pictures uploaded of the cart getting put together. I thought I had more of the finished carts but I guess I don't. unfortunately the company I was working for laid off all of the production staff and I wont be able to get more pictures anytime soon.

I used the empty half of the follow cart where the blimp holders were to hold pelican cases mostly. It was great for stashing stuff that was bigger. You could also fit crates there too.

The patch panel worked out great overall. It was a lot of wiring to get it done. My coworker really liked having dorrough meters so i built a custom rack for those and he wired them into the direct outs from the sonosax.

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

added wheels, shelves and started the rack area. The rest if the rack will get filled with a couple wireless mic receivers, power distro. I'll have a little patch panel on the back for I/O and power. Hoping to get that started this weekend. 

image.jpeg

Looks fantastic! I'm wondering why you chose to use additional rack rails instead of making the horizontal profiles on the left side a little narrower, and going right to the 8020 material with drop-in threaded sockets. Also, what model are those groovy plates that you mounted the wheel brackets to? Great job. Looking forward to seeing the completed project!

• 2 weeks later...
On August 27, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Karl Wasserman said:

Looks fantastic! I'm wondering why you chose to use additional rack rails instead of making the horizontal profiles on the left side a little narrower, and going right to the 8020 material with drop-in threaded sockets. Also, what model are those groovy plates that you mounted the wheel brackets to? Great job. Looking forward to seeing the completed project!

I'll let you know what the exact model is for the caster plates. I bought them from 80/20 as well. 

I wanted my equipment recessed back a little bit more than mounting right to the front of the 80/20. It's also a lot easier to mount to the rack rails than dealing with mounting to the 80/20 imho. I'm going to add some rubber bumpers to protect the equipment more so when riding in the trailer. 

6 hours ago, ryanpeds said:

I wanted my equipment recessed back a little bit more than mounting right to the front of the 80/20. It's also a lot easier to mount to the rack rails than dealing with mounting to the 80/20 imho.

I will add that I used rack rails attached to the 80/20 profiles for exactly the same reason --- I want the gear to sit back, recessed behind the fascia of the cart frame. I have used the channels in the 80/20, even on the face, to mount certain things, but the main rack mountable equipment is attached to rack rails which gives it added protection.