GMP NP-1 Powering issues 664

fiore

I am hoping that someone here might have an answer for me and yes i have used the search bar.

I've just purchased a Globalmediapro Li75N Lithium ion Battery  to power my rig, previously i've been using Ni-Cads and decided to make the jump to Lithium.

now that i received the battery it charges (on their designated charger) with the battery check light confirming a full charge yet when i plug it into my BDS (with nothing attached to it) it doesn't power on. also when testing the battery with a voltage meter i'm getting a reading of 0.0

I'm thinking that the battery might just be a lemon but i'd like to exhaust all options.

Haven't tried charging a second battery, I plan on testing it in a few days on a buddy's bds. I don't think the charger is the issue.

unfortunately after about 15 emails with gmp the response I got is

"Please only use our battery with compatible equipment. Before using it
with any other equipment please email us for compatibility advice.

Please do NOT use our battery with the distribution system (BDS). The
equipment you mentioned is NOT compatible with this battery."

Resonate what do you power on a single battery and what mixer 

because now I'm being told that this battery cannot power a 664

or rather I was told 

- this battery doesn't function on a bds system

- the battery's output is not enough to power a 664

- I've overloaded the battery by only pluging it into my bds (with nothing attached)

im trying to think of a word to describe beyond frustrated 

I'm assuming you used the BDS system previously with a different battery so you know it works correct.  Seriously just try charging the second battery then before putting it on the BDS check its voltage and see what it says

Edited by Glen Deakin

I don't have another lithium ion battery at the moment to test it with but I'll be seeing a friend on Thursday to test it out.

on the part of gmp they've washed their hands of the situation saying that I've misused the product by simply plugging it into a bds.

I don't have another lithium ion battery at the moment to test it with but I'll be seeing a friend on Thursday to test it out.

on the part of gmp they've washed their hands of the situation saying that I've misused the product by simply plugging it into a bds.

That is a very weird response - how can that happen? battery distribution system just takes the power from the battery, regulates voltage, and distributes it to various outputs......

I would think that something is wrong with the battery - it looks a lot like mine, the voltage is the same...14.8v, your battery has more capacity, that's the only difference i notice.

I've been powering tascam dr680 and sd442 of that battery for a long time, and now use it with Nomad, i always connected the direct out cable (full voltage) to the sd442 (now Nomad), and then used the regulated 12v of Hawkwoods shoe to power the rest of the kit.

I think it's a lemon?

this is a charger i use - never had problems - got it from pinknoise along with the batteries :http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/swit-sc302-np-1-2-way-charger.html

I purchased it directly from them.

this whole ordeal has left a sour taste in my mouth.

they've told me that I've misused the product and that there will be no exchange seeing as a bds and a sound devices 664 are not part of their approved equipment . Money lost and lesson learned.

Did the battery die as soon as you plugged it in or after switching on the 664 to ext.?

This is what I must do with my gmp batts. Have everything in the bag off, plug in the np. Switch the 664 to int batt let it start up and then switch to ext. after that turn on everything else that's plugged in. Someone explained to me before why it automatically fails when switched directly to ext but I now forget the reason. ..get what you pay for  

Though it's a weird tweak my 3 4yr old gmp np1s are still running fine and power my 664 411s SRB and ifb just fine. 

I've had this situation before with other types of Lithium - Hawk-Woods. What I think happens is that the start up sequence of the 664 draws too much power just for the first milliseconds (or something) and the protection circuit within the battery kicks in. 

I've found that initially powering the 664 from internal batteries just for the first few seconds and then switching to the lithium will not trip the battery's protection.

This only happens with freshly charged Lithiums.

Hope that's what up with yours.

..... or what Jordan says! 

Thanks for the Advice guys I'll give it a shot when I get home later.

thing is that the bds isn't powering on at all with the battery plugged into it with nothing attached.

Maybe the battery has stayed in its protection state, I think sticking it into the charger for a kick start should bring it back to life ......  maybe. My experience was that the batteries would come back to life eventually on their own (10 mins?).

Please take my observation and speculation as just that - your problem may or may not be totally different.

Thanks for the Advice guys I'll give it a shot when I get home later.

thing is that the bds isn't powering on at all with the battery plugged into it with nothing attached.

are you good with a multimeter? do you have one? test the battery's output for voltage before you say it is a dud. :)

<

Did the battery die as soon as you plugged it in or after switching on the 664 to ext.?

>

SoundWil said it - the 664 needs MORE than what it is being fed to start up. this can be an issue. though not quite. 

are you good with a multimeter? do you have one? test the battery's output for voltage before you say it is a dud. :)

<

>

SoundWil said it - the 664 needs MORE than what it is being fed to start up. this can be an issue. though not quite. 

he already said he checked the voltage

I have many GMP LIONs and had a problem recently with their 75mwh np1 and the battery protection circuit..... I have two chargers the 2 bay one and their single charger.the single charger i bought had a dtap male plug on it and a female adapter cable.... The plug will fit both ways and there is no indication of which is positive /negative..... The battery circuit protection kicked in and the battery didnt output.I put the battery in my 2 bay charger and it it came back to life.....The company were a pain in the arse to deal with

I have used their batteries/chargers for many years and this was the first time ive had any issues

Try resetting the battery by using another charger or wait a few days and it should reset

Ant

• 1 year later...

Any news as to haw this worked out. Unfortunately I had a similar issue. However I know why my battery stopped working. I accidentally touched my bds supply chord to the metal body of my mixer. I saw a small spark. The battery stopped working immediately. I tried a different battery and the equipment powers on properly. The defective battery shows a full charge but does not power anything on.

Does anyone know how to reset a li-ion battery , if that is even possible?