SD 633 camera playback to ifb solution

osa

Born out of frustration - having a bunch of expensive gear on set and not having a quick solution to what seems like a simple request - "can i hear playback in my cans please?". I built a project box recently because of the need of playback on set from camera takes to director and video village when using my 633 and this option not being available like its big brother the 664 provides. I wanted to post this info in case it might help others in the same situation come up with a solution to fit their individual needs. I have been using it a few weeks now with complete success! will try to post pics of the actual box asap but it is nothing fancy by any means at this point. As a visual aid i made a crude drawing in my hotel room to help illustrate the signal flow.

My method was using 2x double pole single throw switches side by side and tied together creating a 4 pole single throw switch, but reversing the in/out direction on the 2nd switch relative to the 1st switch. in switch position 1, the headphone feed and the aux 3/4 feed from the 633 operate as normal. in switch position 2 (and with 633 monitor set to RTN), the 3/4 feed becomes interrupted and replaced with the 633's return feed when producer/director calls for playback. The bonus of the double pole double throw switch inline of the RTN feed in switch position 2 is with stereo return from camera sources you can select a left only, right only or mono mix of the stereo return to give the best possible mix on playback.

Parts i used:

-2x double pole single throw switches

-1x double pole double throw switch

-1x 1/8" female stereo jack (for headphones, great to have headphone jack remoted anywhere at the top of your bag)

-2x 1/8" male stereo plugs (for comtek and qifb wired accordingly)

-8' of your favorite stereo cable

-small project box

IMG_8024.JPG

• 1 month later...