Bar code labeling advice

soundgarten

I am considering making bar code labels for all of my equipment to help to create equipment lists and Carnets for shipping. Looking for suggestions as to how to go about it. Software suggestions, Mac OS X, P Touch tape, anything that those who have done this have found helped to streamline what is undoubtedly a somewhat tedious process.

Thanks, Mark Weingarten

I have for rental database

used a p-touch to put B/Cs on as much as possible (tip: if you use say 1/2" for the label use 3/4" clear and use spaces to make a protection cover)

most P-Touches only do 3of9 so there is a 13 character limit (I think it's 13) so you will need to make abbreviation codes

• 1 month later...

If I were you, I would not bother with p-touch or equivalent. My experience is that for any heavy use item they will come right off the gear and you'll keep having to re-do them and eventually spend as much money in the p-touch labels as you would have if you just bought high quality foil labels. All of my labels are from Mavericklabel.com (Bar Code Labels) and they last ages through very heavy abuse. I don't have my gear bar-coded, but you can definitely order barcoded labels from them which I linked to. Lots of options. It's costly... but 'buy once, cry once' as they say. 

I bit the bullet a few months ago and bought nice foil labels with sequential barcodes that I can use with software of my choice. They say "Property of..." and have the barcode info. I got the smallest size possible, which has turned out to be the right decision, but the only thing that doesn't work well is curved surfaces, which has turned out to be more of a problem than I expected. They have a different product that I think is a laminated vinyl that adheres to curved surfaces so I am going to get some of them soon.

A few years ago I bit the bullet and got custom cable wraps with my logo and info on them. Spent a bit of money, but my justification was that if it saves me from having to replace even just 1 or 2 expensive cables, they have paid for themselves. On big jobs when people start grabbing cables, it's far to easy for cables and gear to get grabbed by someone that isn't the owner. I figure this accidental but harmless loss is much more likely than outright theft, so labels and cable wraps identifying my gear works just fine vs. engraving it, etc.