Zaxcom TRX 742 Case

KGraham045

There isn't any pouches designed for the TRX742 specifically, yet**

But, the Lectrosonics UH400a condura pouch will fit, though a bit snug, it does the job:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/261220-REG/Lectrosonics_PHTRAN2_PHTRAN2_Cordura_Pouch.html

It would require you to make a hole on the flap for antenna access, and it obviously lacks a window which would be useful to see and access the LCD and buttons. But it works. Here are some pictures I took when I was trying it out:

2015-07-06_16.14.45.thumb.jpg.9912b5f051

2015-07-06_16.14.50.thumb.jpg.7de1958730

2015-07-06_16.14.55.thumb.jpg.248d92ebf5

** I'll add to this that I've been working with Portabrace on designing a pouch for the TRX742, which will hopefully come out soon. I submitted some sketches and design ideas that I made with the help of Alex Ramirez (Toy Robot Studios) last month, and they will be sending me a prototype to test out soon, but their designers are also very busy with other products, so it may be a little while.

The pouch will feature a window with clear view of the LCD and buttons, easy access to the battery compartment for battery swapping as well as powering, and the hole for the antenna connector.

Edited by Jose Frias

tried the Lectro Pouch as well and yes its tight.  it won't be coming out easily.  of course if you have to make any changes you have to pull it out.  I remember Trew Audio toronto had a boom pole accessory made for the older zaxcom plugon tx that also fit the lector UH.  It was really solid.  something like that I'm sure could be made to fit a 742.  Don't have a picture but it was well designed to go on a pole.  

I use the same case with a couple of additions. I have attached a Velcro strap to go around the pole for safety, and also I have cut/melted a long slit for the aerial to go through. The Velcro is passed under and glued under the belt clip. I use a aerial with a swivel so I can take the transmitter out of the pouch without unscrewing the aerial every time. I use the ambient top tip to get the connector away from the pole and quick release, however I don't think you would be able to have the 742 sideways (so you can access the screen and battery door whilst still on the pole) with a case on. I think it would put too much pressure on the cone and the connector. The last photo shows how tight the fit is sideways.

I would prefer to to leave it on the pole to change settings or see the display but more importantly get at the batteries quickly.  It looks like I'd have to get a replacement for the top tip. I have left the belt clip on for the odd occasion it will go on the belt. 

I look forward to seeing any new case designs people come up with

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 months later...

This is a case I realized with the dressmaker on the set.

It has two little holes, one for the antenna and one to see the display.

The side where the battery door opens is left free to have easily access.

Last thing, there's a flap sewed on one side of the case that could go around the boom pole and attached with velcro on the other side of the case, to secure the 742 to the Boom for further protection. Sorry for the pictures quality, but it's my phone. I didn't have a boompole with me, so imagine my thumb in place of it 

Foto_04-10-15_12_14_40.thumb.jpg.bab95aaFoto_04-10-15_12_13_28.thumb.jpg.6cd94c1Foto_04-10-15_12_13_16.thumb.jpg.ff04c83Foto_04-10-15_12_12_48.thumb.jpg.a2c2015

Hi Everyone,

Just found this on B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10513205&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

It fits really well, a little snug but you can still get the TX out quickly to change batteries etc...

It also has a window on one side for TX adjustments. The clear window doesn't fit perfectly and you have to put the TRX in the pouch the wrong way to access it, but it's better than nothing. I haven't yet punched a hole in for the antenna but it shouldn't be a problem.

20151012_125114.jpg

20151012_125013.jpg

Edited by David Marien

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to sewing up a 742 pouch. Two things I wanted the pouch to have. A window to see settings and access to the battery compartment while the 742 is in the pouch. Both were achieved. A bit rough and ready. Maybe one day I'll attempt V2 but for now I am happy with this one.

742 Pouch2.jpg

742 Pouch1.jpg

742 Pouch3.jpg

Hey Nate, it looks good. I like it.

Here's the one that Portabrace made:

56a0f85255724_ScreenShot2016-01-21at10.2

URL: http://www.portabrace.com/rmb-zax742.html

I have one and it's quite well made. The battery compartment is accessible by just opening the straps on the pouch. The full clear window is great for access to the display and buttons. You'll have to remove the pouch to access the media, but not a huge issue since it's fairly easy to do so.

The portabrace ones look good. I would have brought one, had I realised they existed. Having to remove the pouch to access the media is a non issue for me. 

Is there anything to prevent the 742 from slipping out the top/cone end of the pouch. It looks as though it   narrows, or maybe there is some straps similar to the bottom end. Couldn't quite tell from the pictures on the Portabrace site.

Cheers Nate.

• 4 weeks later...

I just received my case from PortaBrace and it is truly bulky and a little bit fiddly --- it offers what I feel is overkill in the protection department, I was hoping for something which really could just provide a nice belt clip. We'll see how it works out --- I just don't want to have to get a case for the case --- it's just that massive in my opinion.

Gotta have something to handle this unit for boom operator belt use since I just...can't...seem...to...fathom putting that unit up there with the $2K+ mic and the way my ears tell me that bugger gets whipped and banged around. Wanna have it in a safer place. Forced to deal with this idea in anticipation of both of the 992's going in for service soon and having the 742 play primary is a distinct possibility. This Portabrace unit might do in a pinch. Will miss having a big ol' rechargeable battery that lasts.

I have a Lectro case that's too small to trade for a whisky neat.

Using a neutrik rubbber ring from an xlrf really makes a huge difference with securing the plugon at the top. Was really loose and wiggled to much for my liking but it feels very tight with the rubber ring. Really have to give it a push to hear it finally click on to the male xlr.  Please excuse the cat hair on the desk. 

IMG_20151027_144049.jpg

IMG_20151027_143949.jpg

That case looks cumbersome and bulky.  

I've always felt that the connection on the 742 is too loose, and I've had to replace my cone as it gets looser over time.  I no longer use the xlr to support the lateral weight, instead I use an ambient xlr holder at the base of my poles which puts the 742 parallel to the pole and a bongo tie secures it in place.

Like Glen I have also found that a small rubber O ring on the 742 cone makes a huge difference when mounting the Tx on the business end of the pole. It takes out all the play in the cone and makes a very secure connection. You do have to make sure you listen for the " click " when the cone hits home. I also use an offset on the mic and it lines up and stays put even with really violent moves by my boom op. As for the cases mentioned here I find all of them to be somewhat lacking. We usually wrap the unit in plastic sandwich wrap...which can be a hassle when making a quick battery change but does provide some degree of protection for weather.

I've always added an "O" ring to make the XLR connection tighter.  Like Kelsey, I also use an Ambient XLR holder.  I then have special rubber bands to secure the body of the 742 against a rubber bumper on the boom pole, so the whole assembly is secure -- and battery changes are still a quick process.

As far as cases, I don't normally use one but have two options if needed:

1). A Lectro case will work but requires a hole cut for the antenna.  The antenna needs to be screwed on after inserting the body into the case unless you want to bend the antenna unmercifully during installation -- a bit of a pain for changing batteries.

2). A Zaxcom FDP1 case also will fit -- if a touch awkwardly.  The elastic strap in the bottom needs to be pulled to one side of the cone, and the closure is wrapped to one side of the antenna.  If Zaxcom wished to do so, it should be relatively easy for their supplier to make a 742 version of this case by having two elastic straps in the bottom -- they then fit around the cone -- and make the antenna cutaway wider on the closure.  A window could be added if enough users desired, but the two modifications mentioned above would suffice for many uses.  I recommend putting strips of foot foam on either side of the microSD card slot to make it more difficult to accidentally unlatch the card (which, unfortunately, sticks out further than desirable).

Both of the above options have belt clips, but neither has a viewing window, and they require the 742 be pulled from the case -- or the case slid forward -- for a battery change.

Yes seriously do tell. That looks really cool.  You should let zaxcom know about that and they should all be made like that.   Looks like part of it is this connector

http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/fx-spec-series/

Would that also work on the bottom of a internally cabled pole or only to a male xlr end at the top?