updated my website

Hi jwsound-ers,

I spent some time this weekend updating my website and wanted to give a one time mention of it here. I wasn't disappointed in how my last version looked, but it wasn't mobile friendly. I don't really think a single producer has looked at my site, but I try to keep it up to date so I can say "My resume? I'm on set and can email it to you later tonight, but you can also see it on my website." Though I know in reality, it's all about imdb at this point. 

You can find it here:

www.productionsoundmixer.com

Thanks,

Josh

Looks good Josh. Simple, but effective. I'm doing the same at the moment, for the same reason. I also do quite a bit of post work, so showing examples is a bit more relevant. I'm having a hard time representing each part of my business equally, on the same site. I'll post when finished as well.

Thanks Jose and Jason.

Jason, I've toyed around with different formats in my site and resume through the years. I've shifted the emphasis from feature films (which always seem more prestigious to me) to television shows (as that's where I have "bigger" and more recent credits). It's a tough, and self-examining, balance.

Hey Pindrop, criticism is totally fine with me. I put the site up this morning and have re-uploaded a bunch of times to fine tune some formatting and to fix other errors, like spelling. I'm sure I'm still forgetting things that could be fixed. 

Thanks,

Josh

Ok,  just curious why you're showing your fine looking cart askew amongst a pile of rusting industrial junk and weeds, as a first impression, is your cart at home in this context, sinking in to it, next in line for the scrapyard, sorry but that's my first impression!

Edited by pindrop

Thanks guys. The photo in the weeds was one I took in the Brooklyn Navy Yards. I chose it for the front because I preferred putting one of my cart without my big head in the way. I realized that the few photos I have that I could use are shots of specific gear, or me from a specific job, or shots of my cart with an uninteresting background. When i was looking through the photos I have, I kept coming across two older pictures: one was a shot of an older sound cart of mine on the Brooklyn Bridge Water Taxi Pier with the Manhattan skyline in the background; and the other was a shot of the castle in Kalmer, Sweden. The problem with the first was that the cart in the picture is an outdated cart that I don't have anymore. And the second picture was from a vacation and has nothing to do with sound mixing. But I thought, if I had some interesting backgrounds, even if the cart itself was small and not featured, it would be a better photo. 

Parking the cart on a dirt road near the weeds at a partially defunct shipping yard certainly isn't the dirtiest place I've parked the sound cart. The backlight and wider angle helps to hide the layers of dust on some of the ledges of the cart. But it's not quite ready for the scrapyard yet, I hope. 

Thanks for all of the feedback. I appreciate it. 

Josh

I've gone back and forth on that one, Eric. I may still put my phone number back in but I'm not comfortable with my email address being so readily available anymore. I'm already dealing with so much spam, I don't want to risk getting more. There is a contact form page but I think that's more of substitute for an email address. I'll probably put the phone number back in. I think it was on my last design. Good catch. 

I've gone back and forth on that one, Eric. I may still put my phone number back in but I'm not comfortable with my email address being so readily available anymore. I'm already dealing with so much spam, I don't want to risk getting more. There is a contact form page but I think that's more of substitute for an email address. I'll probably put the phone number back in. I think it was on my last design. Good catch. 

Then get a Gmail account or such for business contacts. You have to remember to run your business like a business.

P.S. Not that it matters but I can't find or see any pictures on your website except for a junkyard shot that says & shows nothing relevant.

Hey Eric,

Since the productionsoundmixer.com is a domain name that I've registered, my "work" email is connected to that. I have some other email accounts for more personal use. I've been in touch with my web hosting company about the amount of spam I get, but as a preventative measure, I don't want to put it out there for all to see at first look. I don't feel quite the same way about my phone number. Maybe it's because spamming email is cheaper for bad business practices than spamming your phone, or maybe because do not call lists and cell phone blocked number options are more effective than white/black lists for email. 

If you head up to the top right corner, the lettering is actually two links: "productionsoundmixer.com" will take you to the home page and "+menu" will split the picture apart into a drop down menu. You'll find credits, a resume, a contact form and an interview there. Sorry, no games.

Josh