Sound Design Help

Hugh Palmer

Hey all, 

I'm about to start work on an animation of a firefly and am trying to recreate a real flappy, fantasy, fairy like wing sound. Something similar to this at 12seconds. http://www.bonson.ca/product/wings/

I have tried flapping pieces of paper of different sizes and speeding it up which seems to work but I can't quite get that proper flap out of it... more of the papery click..

Wondering if any of you had some advice/ideas as to how I could make this work.

I found a couple of dozen bird-flap-type sound effects on Sound Ideas' website:

http://www.sound-ideas.com/search-sound-effects.html

Sound Dogs will also have tons of this stuff:

http://www.sounddogs.com

These will cost you some bucks, but it's usually fairly affordable and you can audition them for free prior to download. 

Baseball cap always sounded like a baseball cap to me.

Try getting a small stack of cards, flap them in front of your mouth and blow.  Different size cards, different speeds, different kinds of blowing.

Feather dusters and small swatches of well worked in thick fabric.  Also, wax paper or specialty papers in little holders.

Edited by minister

• 3 weeks later...

Flip a bike upside down and fasten paper/cardboard/baseball/plaing cards to the frame with a clothespin and spin the wheel. Move the card in to get a heavier wing and out to get a lighter wing.

what about the sound of the bike? The chain and all? Doesn't that distract a bit?

what about the sound of the bike? The chain and all? Doesn't that distract a bit?

turning the bike upside down gets rid of the "chain and all", unless the hub bearings are loose or too tight or the wheel is so untrue it rubs on the brakes (in which case you need a bike mechanic or at least some cone spanners and spoke key ;-) That said don't the spokes 'ring' a bit after being plucked by the card?

turning the bike upside down gets rid of the "chain and all", unless the hub bearings are loose or too tight or the wheel is so untrue it rubs on the brakes (in which case you need a bike mechanic or at least some cone spanners and spoke key ;-) That said don't the spokes 'ring' a bit after being plucked by the card?

It depends on the thickness of the card and the speed of the wheel. If you are hearing ringing from the spokes, try a folded sheet of construction or stationery paper.

GLOVES

Different kinds of gloves (big, small, leather, whool... Search for your sound)

Take both in one hand from the hole you put your hand in (leaving the fingers of the gloves free) and shake it in the mood you need flapping against each other and against your hand.

It's an old trick of foley artist to make sounds of wings.

Luck!!