birdman score

beartrax

i just watched the movie bird man (michael keaton, ed norton …) i really liked the score it was mostly 100% drums, only a couple moments used just some strings … being a drummer i really appreciated the drums score & i thought it worked really well for this film, i haven't heard drums used this much in many movie scores, especially when the movie content has nothing to do with drums … the drummer, antonio sanchez (who's played extensively with pat metheny for years) did an excellent job … it seemed like he really worked hand in hand with the director (Inarritu) to get just the right sound… sanchez experimented with different drums and tuning / de-tuning, as well as a variety of recording environments, and various recording techniques to get just the right sound for the scenes… they reorded on streets for some scenes instead of indoors and moved the recording mics around the drums while playing to add some an appropriate feeling for some scenes… it's been a little while since i was excited about movie (i watch too many cartoons these day with my kids) so i thought i'd share … the movie itself was also quite entertaining … "a bit trippy" as my wife said ... 

below a one like to a decent article, i'm sure more can be found if searched ...

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/11/birdman-score-antonio-sanchez

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched this yesterday. Great flick, wonderfully shot. 

It was funny, earlier I had suggested Team America (jokingly since my girlfriend has repeatedly said no to that, saying she finds the puppets creepy) and Whiplash. Team America involves acting, Whiplash drumming, and Birdman had a lot of both.