GPS anti theft device

Tim M

Hey guys I'm looking into GPS anti theft devices I can conveniently put in my gear package and be able to locate if problems arise. Of course I have insurance etc, but want further peace of mind. The GPS trackers I'm looking at so far need full view of sky to get it correct. Looking for any suggestions for you if you are using one you are happy with. Maybe one that emits a pulse every 15 minutes or so that has the power to penetrate a layer or so. Thanks.

Hi Tim

The issue with GPS trackeing is not that it is not powerfull enough to get a "pulse" out, but rather that it has to "see" the GPS satellites.
A typical GPS satellite orbits about 20'000km above the earth's surface, getting you a typical -127.5dBm at the receiver in the open field, at 1.2 or 1.5GHz (according to wikipedia). Thats barely even signal at all.
Today's tracker report their position to you over the mobile phone network. Phone coverage (aka the "pulse") may work while not having a GPS signal at all, or the other way around where you are way out in the field and have no mobile phone coverage the GPS signal typically is very strong ;-)

Off the top of my head I know tracker.com offers a wide variety of tracking services, from the consumer products advertised on the website to law-enforcement ankle tracker to very sophisticated fleet solutions and cargo tracking. You can get an industrial Pico-Tracker for ship container tracking with external antennas that lasts for months.

If you get a tracker.com pico tracker, mount it in the lid of a pelican and set it to report its position every 15 Minutes, you get it running for 2-4 Weeks depending on mobile network coverage.

- Andy