Lectro HM Whining Noise

jawharp

Hey Guys,

Was going through my gear today for an upcoming job, and plugged my p48 416 into my Lectro butt plug.  It started emitting a high pitched whining noise in addition to the sound coming from the mic.  I disconnected the mic and noticed the sound was still there with nothing plugged into it.

When the transmitter moves or I touch it in a different spot the pitch of the sound changes.  Changed the batteries, but that didn't change anything.  I've never had any issues with it before today.

Anyone know what could be going on?

Thanks,

Joe

Quick update:

I had initially changed the frequency, but it didn't get rid of the whining sound I was getting.  

In a final act of desperation this evening, I set the frequency to one of the highest possible on the transmitter, in this case 690.000, and the sound went away.  This is by no means a permanent fix, and I'm still going to send it in, but I'm glad I have something I can work with tomorrow.  If it fails, I have my audio ltd as a backup.

So to anyone experiencing this problem on set and needs a quick fix, this might work temporarily.

I'll keep you guys posted,

Joe

I've had a similar issue. Couldn't figure it our for the longest time. Sent it back to Lectro Toronto, they said it was all up to spec. Different freq.'s, different mics, cabled, unplugged, near, far, in french , in english, no difference. It was strange because sometimes we would power up, it would be clear, we would start working and the noise would start half way through a take. It was my boom op who finally noticed it was whenever camera dept. unplugged a BNC cable from the cameras (Sony f-55) HD-SDI connector, it would trigger the noise. Not sure if it's cheap cables, or connectors, but thats what fixed it for us. Making sure we kept clear of the BNC connectors on the camera and making sure camera dept swapped out any cheap bnc cables that seemed problematic or looked old and abused..

Thanks for the information, Simon & Robert.  I'll make sure our Customer Service department is aware of this potential failure mode (if they are not already).  I am hoping Joe was able to fix his problem by replacing cables.

Wes Herron

Lectrosonics, Inc.